A. Schuyler
A. Schuyler, Research Analyst
Experience:  30 years in research
Type Your Question Here...

My sons hockey gloves and skates stink. I tried soaking the

My son's hockey gloves and skates stink. I tried soaking the gloves and airing them out but the smell remains. I see there are products for sale to help with this problem such as reek-out, but it seems there should be some other lower cost remedies. Please advise. Thank you.
Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Reek Out has pretty much cornered the hockey and football market. However there are other products out there that work by the same mechanism. The best place to start is your larger pet products store. There are lots of brand names but look for the ones that eliminate the odor rather than masking it. Some of them even eliminate skunk odor. They aren't as cheap as sprinkling everything with baking soda but they are more effective and a lot cheaper than Reek Out if you are going to use the stuff by the quart as most hockey moms doWink.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. What is the mechanism? I have access to chemical supplies if you can find out the ingredients.

They don't publish ingredients. The mechanism is that the odor remover combines with the odor-causing molecule, locking it up.