TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Entrepreneur, Life Coach and Social Worker
Type Your Question Here...

Is there a good book(s) and / or movie(s) for kids age 11 -

Customer Question

Is there a good book(s) and / or movie(s) for kids age 11 - 13 to teach them the value and correct ethics about being honest?
Category: General
Expert:  GeneralistWindylen replied 4 years ago.

Windylen :

Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today. Will post my answer soon.

Windylen :

Hi! There are lots of books which teaches values in life. Here are my suggestions: " The Skin I'm In " and " Diary of a Junior Year ". It's hard to get specific reference story which teaches Honesty in particular. You can choose other books and purchase as well online. Please visit

Windylen :

I can also suggest this short video. This shows a good example of Honesty. Here is the link

This is nice information.

I just require specfically about not lying.being honest, so I can not use this video, since it is about not stealing and being honest about it. Also, you haven't explained why you chose these 2 particular books. Thanks

Expert:  TherapistJen replied 4 years ago.
Hi. Here is a wonderful book for teens that addresses many character traits and building character and honesty is one of them.

I like this book because as kids are confronted with so much these days and forced to grow up quickly this book helps to break down the different character traits and help kids gain a sense of themselves. It is also a workbook for teens with additional resources as well. I also like it because it talks about many wonderful traits in addition to honesty.

In addition to this, it is important to know that all kids learn ethics, values and honesty from the adults and world around them so it is important to be a great role model for them around this. If your child has become dishonest, I would sit with them and talk about why they felt that need to be dishonest and what got in the way of them being honest with you or someone else. Open dialog about this difficult subject can go a long way.

Let me know if you have more thoughts or questions.
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience: Entrepreneur, Life Coach and Social Worker

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. I was not online when you posted a follow up. To answer your question, the first story, " The Skin I'm In " will help us explain our kids that it is important to accept and appreciate the inner beauty and not only the outside looks, be it yourself or be it to others. The second one, " Diary of a Junior Year " teaches our kids to understand other culture and diversity. It also helps develop proper values in life. This is really helpful as real feelings of teens are discussed.