SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Do you know a U.S. bank that will allow you to open a business

Customer Question

Do you know a U.S. bank that will allow you to open a business banking account via fax or online email (sending documents/signature electronically) and not requiring a physical visit to the bank itself?
Category: General
Expert:  TaxTom replied 4 years ago.

TaxTom :

What country are you based?

Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
I see you are posting your question from Japan. The Patriot act stemming from the terrorist attacks on Sept 11, 2001 require US banks to "know their customer".

All banks in the US require a social security number, and a couple additional forms of identification to open a US account. One bank like Bank of America might allow it but I believe you would need a social security card and otherwise a physical address - different from just online banking from another country once you have opened up an account in person.

Your other options are Wells Fargo, which may have changed in recent years or doing Etrade, which is a trading platform but may be useful. Wells fargo may require your passport and some bills confirming you are who you say you are.

ING also used to allow opening a US account AS LONG AS you have an ING account in your country.

If this has helped so far you can press accept so I am credited. We can still continue our correspondence after an answer is accepted.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist