SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

ASK MIKE, Hi Mike, I appreciate the anatomy and physiology

ASK MIKE, Hi Mike, I appreciate the anatomy and physiology lesson. However I was wondering if you could recommend specific foods to eat and specific foods to avoid. Also, would you be able to tell me of a good website to go to for a good core workout. I don't know how to work my DVD player. I would prefer to print out 7-10 exercises. Thanks, Jen
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
Jennifer, its great to hear from you again. If its alright with you, I have to step out from my office and actually throw my computer battery on the charger while I am away. So I want to work on this once I get seated back down

I definitely am going to build an answer for you but considering there are probably millions of sites out there, I would like to have a look through them. Also what I can do is touch on a different facet of food that just food types which I won't mention but will cover when i get back.

Chances are you may get another answer here, it is not your obligation to accept anyone's answer, so just keep this in mind until I get back.

I will be back shortly and get you squared away. Right off the bat I can tell you greasy, sugary and processed foods are things are things you could safely eliminate if you can go without.

I will talk with you soon. Sorry for the delay and thank you very much for the patience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ASK MIKE, i will gladly wait for your response. thanks, Jen
Excellent Jen, plugging in now.

I very much appreciate the patience. I am already formulating a few things in my head and have an idea this one will be book length again(lol) Laughing

Jennifer, my apologies on the delay. Things went a bit awry today.

So to get down to it, diet is relatively easy. Vegetables are free to eat whenever, fruits are great, and your portion sizes for other things can be like a deck of cards for meat, and baseballs for other things - roughly. Now eating slower and chewing more will actually allow your belly to catch up to your brain so you get the feeling of satiety but not overeating and counter acting the other things you are trying to do. A good rule of thumb thats easy is: if its bright in color, eat it. If it has a strong smell(citrus, onion, garlic, etc..), eat it. Fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds and lean proteins are great. Dairy is OK to provided you're not loading up on the things with saturated fat.

As far as foods to avoid, you want to stay away from processed food and try to eat as whole food as possible, whenever possible. Heavy sugary things are bad as they basically trigger a "storage" message - this also plays into timing, like at night when the body wants to calm and slow down for sleep - a storage message is a sure fire way to take "two steps back". A treat now and then is perfectly fine. Other than that, greasy, deep fried foods, fast food, super large portions will work against you.

The other thing that people mistake when trying to boost metabolism is not eating enough during the day or frequently enough. Basically you graze thoroughout the day(Breakfast, lunch, dinner) but you also eat healthy small snacks in between the timed meals - after a while, the body realizes it can upregulate itself and run "faster" so you actually have more energy, burn more fat and youre not ever hungry because your body knows it will get nourishment.

Also making sure you are getting quality sleep and drinking water are 2 small things that make a huge difference in the battle of the bulge.

So I am going to go look into some quality sites for you, there is quite a bit of so-so and incorrect stuff to sift through.

Jennifer if you need clarification on anything don't hesitate to ask.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist