Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Knowledgeable in a broad range of topics
Type Your Question Here...

Is The Better Business Bureau the best watchdog? If not, which

Is The Better Business Bureau the best watchdog? If not, which one is the best? Thank you.

Thank you for your question.

It depends on the type of organization. In many cases, businesses are regulated either on the state level and/or by federal law, and in that case, some governmental entities might be the better watchdog. One example is the Federal Trade Commission, which oversees consumer protection, unfair lending, etc.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
But when it's a charity or a ministry?

If the charity or ministry is BBB accredited, that would be a good organization to check consumer complaints. Organizations have no obligation to seek BBB accreditation, so it is not a broad spectrum watchdog group in that sense.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Like if I am contemplating donating to a certain charity or ministry, would picking a charity or ministry that is vouched for by The Better Business Bureau be the best type of charity or ministry to donate to if I am searching for a charity or ministry that will use the bare minimum to keep their organization running, but use every other penny and the majority of donations to help the needy?

To determine how much of the charity's proceeds go to its cause, you can check sites such as or