SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

ASK SUZANNE - Do you know how i can blast and remove belly

ASK SUZANNE - Do you know how i can blast and remove belly fat. I know I asked you before...but i was wondering if you could find any good secrets online. thanks, Jen
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.
Hi Jennifer my name is XXXXX XXXXX rehabilitation physiologist with thousands of hours of strength, conditioning and fitness experience with a myriad of populations.

I see your question is for Suzanne but if you are up for it, I would love to answer this question however understand if you want only Suzanne.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ASK Mike, I would welcome your response.
Thats great. Fortunately there aren't "secrets" to trimming the waistline only, things that work :).

So fat cells work by either growing or shrinking - they are basically evolutionary energy storage cells. That do not change in number, they only grow larger or smaller. The appearance of the stomach and abdominal wall as well as the tone of the wall depend on basically 2 things, which are easily adjusted: diet and abdominal tone.

The idea behind the diet part is the human body simply does not take fat from ONE target, it takes it from all over. So the myth that a billion situps will lean down your waist is purely a myth. So someone who is grossly overweight and does TONS of ab exercises, will not really trim their weight if their diet is the same, however they will develop the muscular wall underneath all the belly fat. This is where the second part comes in: toning the ab wall and the muscles of the core while improving control over them through training can actually improve abdominal posture as well as teaching you to not let your stomach relax which will give a postural advantage as well as a visual improvement to your stomach.

So the easies way to do this is to trim out excess calories and add a little walking or exercise to your life if you haven't already. Ideally this would be the "bad" stuff(excessive sugar, fat, alcohol) that you eliminate from your diet, but you can occasionally(maybe once a week) have a treat or a "cheat" meal provided you have good control over your portions. This will allow your body to shed the excess fat, because basically: regular overeating "feeds" the fat cells and tells your body "We will always get this much food energy, but keep hanging on to it in case we need it". The slim and trim down with exercise message is basically "Oh no we are doing more activity than usual and not getting the regular amount of food - we need to use this stored fat as energy". Thats how diets work. You provide the stimulus, limit the extra food intake and the body trims and does the rest. The only thing you need to do is do some abdominal work so the ab wall tightens up and you get better control over it and your stomach doesn't relax.

The easy way, is sitting up straight, pulling in your tummy all the time. This will train a muscle called the transverse abdominis that allows you to keep tummy in. The traditional ab muscles are trained by crunches, situps, twists with a slight hold on each side as well isometric contractions(squeezing your abs once you learn control). The other part is abs you can do every other day for just a few minutes(the idea behind "8 minute abs") - because they are a postural muscles they recover quickly, but can be overtrained just like any other muscle.

What I would recommend is starting the practice of tummy pulling in while you decide what extra calories you want to eliminate from your diet so you can actually trim the fat. Past that, you can do a couple sets of crunches(higher repetitions) with minimal rest, and then build to full situps as your hipflexors and ab wall grow stronger. Getting a physioball(giant ball) will help you with some extra range of motion compared to floor crunches. The abs are designed to pull the spine from extended to flexed(think in a ball position) and the floor stops people at basically flat where the ball allows them to curve around the ball into extension. These are much harder and you will do less, but its full range of motion and really nice contraction.

Does all this make sense to you Jennifer?