SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

I want to set up a virtual shop for selling jewelry, coins,

Customer Question

I want to set up a virtual shop for selling jewelry, coins, and books. Where is the best place to go? Ebay, great auctions, etc.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
Hi there thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX as a small business owner with a retail portion, I have provided help to other JA customers looking to expand, grow or even just change something in their business.

The answer you are looking for depends a lot on the amount of involvement you want - as well as how you want to market.

Sites like ebay integrate your store into their "database" so with the greater amount of fees that ebay can charge(along with paypal fees) you basically have a piece of marketing already in the bag. Considering how much actual traffic ebay gets the marketing is basically done for you assuming you're not selling "specialized" items that would appeal to only a few people.

Otherwise there are tons of sites and even domain hosts(bluehost is awesome) where they basically have an installation for a cart plug in all ready and prepped for customizing. There are also sites like Volution, network solutions(both nice) and other ecommerce hosts that you pay a monthly fee and the work is done for you. Other than that, if you have a website and are you prepared to do marketing im sure you're familiar with the super high cost of custom sites but places like UltraCart allow you to integrate a cheaper cart with a custom appearance to your already finish site, without paying tons of money if you aren't yet doing volume.

I would recommend maybe started with Ebay, so you can see how much volume you actually do - search engine and web development is pretty easy, but time consuming but if you aren't familiar with it can cost a bit. For custom sites though its worth it, even for the sites where you choose.

I would download a template for ebay to begin and let Ebay do the marketing for you. You will pay a little more in fees, but the freedom is great. Then when you are ready or have the money to start building a custom site or having one made you can then decide on how you want to build and have it customized.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, make sure the market for your items is there before you spend large amounts of money. Its the safe, easy way to make money without a lot of risk.

Its a lot of information and there is plenty more Laughing. If this has helped so far you can press accept so I am credited. We can still continue our correspondence after an answer is accepted.

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would like to be able to contact you again in the future (through 'Just Answer') because you seem to know and have experience that would be extremely helpful to me if I am able to grow my business. Thanks!
Ah thats great, I would love to work with another small business owner. I am very glad it helped,

I will leave you with another thing - patience is your number 1 resource. A lot of people jump into self employment with retail and even services thinking "if the stuff is good, the people will just instantly buy it". Thats not always the case - you could be the best or have the best stuff in the world, if nobody knows about it, then the lights are off. Building a customer base a network of people and customers simply takes time. This is WAY overlooked because people are so passionate about starting, they are thinking about it constantly but don't realize their potential customers simply aren't thinking about it as much as them So just keep this in mind so you don't over reach your limits right out of the gate.

This is even more important with a specialized trade or a niche trade or shop.

For the future, you can ask specifically to me through http://www.justanswer.com/general/expert-cscsmike/ and be sure to put "ForCustomerMike ONLY". If I don't respond immediately it just means I am away from the computer for a little bit but I would get back to you as soon as humanly possible.

It's been my pleasure assisting you Laughing.