SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

What is the market size for dogs in Silverlake, CA area? How

Customer Question

What is the market size for dogs in Silverlake, CA area? How many dogs are located in the Los Angeles area? Where can I find empirical data or census counts on the numbers of dogs in major metropolitan cities?
Category: General
Expert:  cvt_in_mn replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jacustomer-l5mke87w~

Unfortunately, this is one of those markets that isn't deeply investigated. Partially because it's hard to pinpoint the number of dogs in an area, and even harder to figure out exact numbers because there is no census for dogs. This means there is no singular database that we can find that information on.

There is a good site, however, that gives you an idea on how to figure out the census counts for dogs in a particular area. If you'll follow this link: http://www.pawsdogdaycare.com/Start-Up-Services/Dog-Daycare-Demographics.htm , it'll give you the step by step process to figuring it out for any area you like.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the info. However, I feel that your response didnt provide an answer to the question. Can you find information or details on pet expenditures for the dog market? Do you think this detail will enable a better understanding of estimating the market size?

For the dogwalker segment do you think that there is a way to find its market size?
Expert:  cvt_in_mn replied 2 years ago.

I can understand your frustration....sadly, there's no such thing as a database that lists all the dog walkers in a particular market.

Maybe this might help: http://www.americanpetproducts.org/press_industrytrends.asp

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I need the market size for dogwalkers in the Los Angeles Area? Also in large metropolitan cities? And in the USA? Website links with relevant information will help. Also the latest census info for cities with dog populations can help.
I am willing to add a bonus if the answer is robust and sufficient.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Camille-Moderator replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I am still waiting for an answer.
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
Are you looking specifically for numbers of registered dogs in LA county(from your original question)?

Or are you looking for the number of dog walkers? Or both?

Any information on what/who you are trying to market to or what you are trying to do would be helpful as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am looking for answers to all of your questions.

I am looking for registered dogs in LA county and also estimates for the total population of dogs in LA county.

I am also looking for number of dog walkers (estimates with reference articles or some type of evidence).

Thanks
So here is your data for the dog walking. I will continue to work on the walkers.

Source LA county almanac: http://www.laalmanac.com/environment/ev21.htm

Basically what this boils down to is: Using housing data LA has roughly 1,131,392 households which on average have roughly 1.48 dogs per house(that owns a dog). Using this, you can estimate roughly 1,675,000 dogs in households. You also need to account for some standard error and deviation as well as a little bit of "fudge factor" in mistakes due to non registered people or people bending/breaking rules.

Now keep in mind this is going to be really tough. LA requires a license for each dog(safety and stat purposes, probably some revenue too) but really only allows 2 per house I believe so you know there are numbers off the grid which are just not licensed at all or maybe an extra one here or there.

The walkers part will take some time to find as there is going to be a lot of non registered(as in business) individuals walking for cash money. Obviously some are going to be impossible to find, but again this is going to be dependent on who is even registered and getting an idea of total number.

I will get to work on the walkers portion - let me know by pressing accept and some positive feedback if this has helped thus far. I will get back with you shortly with some walker data.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Hi again,

Before I go further, can you let me know if this particular data is what you were looking for to a reasonable degree of accuracy?

Just want to make sure for you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes this is the type of data I am looking for.

Please let me know if you can find anything similar for dogwalkers.

Thanks
You mentioned empirical data for both - in the event there isn't much in any registry on dogwalkers can you tell you tell me what would be a suitable objective alternative?

I want to make sure I can (hopefully find) what will benefit you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well if you can find some information with any type of statistics or estimates about dog walkers in a metropolitan city or area that would be great. Please send some type of data back with an answer to a question.

If you cannot find, I understand. I like your approach to the questions about dogs.
You got it - no need to reply back. I will do more now, glad you like the dog portion - it definitely helps that LA requires registration.