SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

How can a person retain a copy of money orders that were payed

How can a person retain a copy of money orders that were payed out over two years ago? I do not have the stubs from the money orders but do know who and when they were paid out.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
Hi there, my name isXXXXX you for using JustAnswer.

Generally speaking if there is no stub(with serial number) there is no way to trace. That isn't always the case since you know the person and date when they were paid - but this is going to depend on the relationship with the person and access to that account.

If you don't have your stubs or payment receipts you would have to have access to the account number into which it was deposited. If you know who and when as you have stated and provided you have access to the account statement(presumably through the person) you can simply cross reference that date to the deposited amount and should be able to reference the remaining information based off the money order(which would basically be similar to a check number then that number cross referenced to the actual money order itself.

So if you have access to the account and can see the amount or date, you can probably gather at least some information. Without the stub though, that makes it very hard so its dependent on getting access to the account to be able to cross reference as it will basically be a "check" deposit.

Please remember to press accept, it is the only way I receive any credit for assisting you with your question. If you would like further correspondence after, you can simply hit reply.