SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Ive been debating a lot on what I want to do in life (as I

I've been debating a lot on what I want to do in life (as I often am). I come from a broken, poor family and have had to suffer a lot from that my whole life. So, you can't imagine how thankful I am to having a great job in this economy, a fine apartment, in a great city. However, I can't say that I am exactly happy with everything. My job isn't the most fulfilling and I know that I am not completely absorbed in it. I must note that I have been told that I am somewhat of a perfectionist, and this is where I am having difficulty deciding whether I am in a good situation and thinking the 'right' way when it comes to my career and overall life, or am I constraining myself from finding my niche -- whether its my career or overall self-development. I feel like if I knew EXACTLY what I wanted, it may be a much easier road (at least in the decision process), but I find myself wanting too much, yet being restricted by having to have stability and looking out for my future self. How should I go about this dilemma?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 1 year ago.

FitnessSpecialist :

Are you available?

Customer:

sure

FitnessSpecialist :

Hi there my name is Mike

FitnessSpecialist :

If youre up for it I would like to give you some things for consideration.

Customer:

hi mike! yea, sure!

FitnessSpecialist :

I actually was in the same situation with careers and debating happiness

FitnessSpecialist :

forgive me for my possible delays, my answers are very long winded so i may be typing for a long time

FitnessSpecialist :

but feel free just to have a regular chat with me

Customer:

its no problem at all

FitnessSpecialist :

let me ask you - what is it in particular about your job that isn't the most fulfilling?

FitnessSpecialist :

what has made you reconsider your career path

Customer:

hmm well, it was never quite my career path to begin with. I was actually referred to the company through a friend after looking relentlessly for a job in the city for over four months. I took it as a temporary job, but I started taking on projects and responsibilties to make the job as much "me" as possible. Finally, I got hired full-time (by the way, this is in advertising/business develpment). However, if I could picture a dream job scenerio, some of the characteristics would be: creativity, thoughtful analysis and development, out-of-the-box thinking, discovering new perspectives of our world... and while this job has a potential for some of these characteristics, it still feels lacking

Customer:

Should i elaborate on any of this?

FitnessSpecialist :

Would you consider this an un-changeable characteristic of the job? Or do you think its a function of say, how long youve been there?

FitnessSpecialist :

basically would you be able to modify your own job, or are you unsatisified(intrinsically) because the enjoyment of the job is maxed out?

Customer:

Well, I guess I am not quite sure because, honestly, what I was doing 3 months ago at my job is so different than what I do now. So I am hoping there is room for growth, but I am not even sure if the company itself is the TYPE to have these characteristics. its sort of in between a start-up and being corperate, but we definately cater to an older audience.. making it hard to be super fun and creative

FitnessSpecialist :

I gotcha, kinda like sticking with what you know what would work - with a "stiff" crowd?

Customer:

so, basically, i feel like the parameters are narrow as to how far I can develop myself at work.. but since its not QUITE there yet, im not sure

Customer:

ehhh its really not that stiff, but a touch traditional

Customer:

i mean many of them are young ( i suppose because its a tech company)

Customer:

its no Google, but its not like a banking firm or anything

FitnessSpecialist :

So one of the things that rang loud and clear about your original posted question was questioning the economy. Right off the bat my mind goes to, if its secure, and stable, then try to maximize what there is and if needed, look to sidestep

Customer:

my idea really was to be there for at least a year for credibility and that way i am more in control in finding a job better suited for me

FitnessSpecialist :

the second part is knowing this fulfillment you seek

FitnessSpecialist :

right

FitnessSpecialist :

and i think no matter what that would be a smart choice.

FitnessSpecialist :

not only would your networking and actual job skills increase. After more than say 6-8 months you will have a MUCH MUCH better idea of the limits of your position versus the infancy phase where you are really just learning and applying the "stuff" your employer wants

FitnessSpecialist :

i think unless there are tons of opportunities out there, stability has got to be there, simply to make ends meet.

FitnessSpecialist :

however i can tell you first hand I know this feeling of lacking fulfillment

FitnessSpecialist :

I literally left a career I built from formal education to embark on something that I never even considered would turn into a full time job

FitnessSpecialist :

and i did it because i would have rather had regrets over doing and making a mistake, than not even knowing what might have happened

FitnessSpecialist :

so with you

FitnessSpecialist :

you need to be incredibly proactive about making sure that the position youre in has had all the avenues(for you) exhausted before making the decision to step out of it

FitnessSpecialist :

but on the other side of that, in your job, unless youre still getting offers.. if the thought of unemployment scares you(some it doesn't) I think its important even for just white space(resume) and experience that you stick with it for at least a while(the year you mentioned is adequate in my opinion) to ensure youre not bouncing around - which to us wouldn't be a big deal but to an employer shows real commitment

FitnessSpecialist :

if i had to hire someone who had limited lengths of employment i would immediately question and be suspect of commitment and initiative

Customer:

oh yes of course, part of my reason for sticking it out

FitnessSpecialist :

do you have an idea of what your dream job would be? I ask because you mentioned this

Customer:

so, my lingering thoughts are: how do i go about exploring what I DO want to do, when I am so invested in a 9-5 job?

FitnessSpecialist :

Thats exactly what i did

FitnessSpecialist :

i have a strong background in public health and injury rehab

FitnessSpecialist :

i could fit in A LOT of different settings both clinical and labatory settings, anything public health or even as simple as fitness(hence the name :))

FitnessSpecialist :

but

FitnessSpecialist :

I LOVE cars - so when i was working 70 hours a week doing what i had thought was going to be a career i still had a love for cars on the side and knew that that was actually what made me happy

FitnessSpecialist :

what is it that you know you want to do

Customer:

i guess to explain to you my dream job, i cant really give you anything concrete, but maybe a "scrapbook" of interests, passions, hobbies: I was a philosophy major in college, I am very artistic and creative, I love design and details, I am SUPER interested in PEOPLE -- how they think, interact, relate to one another, love the company of people (i am insanely social), physics, music (I grew up with two classical and jazz musicians and studied jazz in college for two years), the development of our society -- as far as how we think, how we perceive the world and each other, how we have developed theories, our sciences, our philosophies.. i love things bigger than life :)

Customer:

while i've been surrounded by priveleged kids who can chase their dreams and "see what happens", I am afraid that I dont have that choice... or do I? i am not sure

Customer:

I feel that unless i know something concretely, I CANT do it

FitnessSpecialist :

You always have a choice. Always.

FitnessSpecialist :

I love everything about life as well. LOVE IT. What I think is important to do is

FitnessSpecialist :

1. using your time in this current job to build your own skill and how they might actually apply to building your own customized career.

FitnessSpecialist :

i think the second part to this needs to be starting to narrow down and actually find concrete tasks, items, experiences that will actually allow you to decide and "tune" your hobbies

FitnessSpecialist :

im using the word hobby here as they are not a "job" just yet - but obviously you know you have a strong interest in them.

FitnessSpecialist :

I just have to ask - do you enjoy sharing your own knowledge and teaching people?

FitnessSpecialist :

and actually if you woke up tomorrow and had the choice to do anything for a job(that was already established) what do you think you might choose?

Customer:

hmm yes, i do. I actually did an online mentorship program for a bit.. but its difficult to enjoy when you dont chat with the person one on one and see and feel them for yourself. this may be different than what you were thinking of, but I did go through a some what of a phase wanting to be a therapist or life couch.. but it only takes care of one of the qualities i like, and really misses the mark on a lot of others

Customer:

lol, i hate that question! there are just TOO many endless possibilities!

FitnessSpecialist :

ahha

FitnessSpecialist :

sorry :)

Customer:

and the realistic part of me comes out and lays my "flaws" on the table

Customer:

things that I fear I may not be able to do as well as i hope

Customer:

.. and here comes the perfectionist in me

Customer:

:)

FitnessSpecialist :

of those things, what have you tried?

FitnessSpecialist :

eitherway, getting enjoyment from the idea of things is completely separate from that of actually enjoying what you think you might

Customer:

hmm im not sure if i have ever fully put myself out there. and YES i comepletely agree with that statement, which is really waht scares me

Customer:

my thought is: what if i just like the idea of this or that

FitnessSpecialist :

i love physics myself. have a tough time with higher level math but love physics. Everything about it - would I ever try to teach it or take it further without needing to - no.

Customer:

or what if i THINk it will be this way

Customer:

but isnt

FitnessSpecialist :

so that tells you immediately that if there is an idea of something you think you might like then you need safely(finanically speaking) introduce yourself to it

Customer:

yes, so thats why i try to find something that has qualities that move me and drive me

Customer:

and not so overtly this or that

Customer:

ok, so lets see if i usually go about this correctly: I think about what I may encapsulate the qualities that I love (which in itself is difficult to realize) and then see if it works given what you know about yourself

Customer:

how does the rest work itself into the equation?

FitnessSpecialist :

do you have reasonable expectations about each of these different things?

FitnessSpecialist :

by that i mean

FitnessSpecialist :

do you expect that you will simply love every single thing about every single thing?

Customer:

hahah, no not at all. maybe even the opposite. I fear that i may get myself into something that I thought i might enjoy and then losing interest or realizing it wasnt me at all, or that i still feel a void

Customer:

and losing what i did have, or might have had, in the process

FitnessSpecialist :

thats actually part of just getting into hobbies

Customer:

or even the thought that i wasnt as awesome as i thought i was -- that i simply "cant" do it

FitnessSpecialist :

well then you have to keep boundaries - both from a motivational and financial standpoint(because certain hobbies are mega expensive) but also from an interest standpoint

FitnessSpecialist :

especially because you have a fulltime job, which presumably you can 'leave work at work'

FitnessSpecialist :

let me use photography as an example

FitnessSpecialist :

i fell in love with this purely out of accident

FitnessSpecialist :

i work alot with cars( where my formal edu was physiology) and part of this job is documenting what I do so i have it for records but also so that I can show prospective clients what changes I can make to their vehicles and the benefits this work has in the long run to preserving a vehicle

FitnessSpecialist :

i only started to like it when i realized how i could capture what my actual eyes saw but finally through the camera

FitnessSpecialist :

this then turned into a love for anything related to photography

FitnessSpecialist :

until i realized how terrible i was at taking pictures of anything that wasnt actually a car

FitnessSpecialist :

i cant take pictures of people for the life of me

FitnessSpecialist :

buildings, flowers, animals

FitnessSpecialist :

im awful at building the look of a pleasant photograph when i thought "Ok so i can take pictures of work well, it must simply just transfer over"....and it didn't

FitnessSpecialist :

where im going with this is, to get better at taking better looking photographs i had to actually put in the effort to realize what went into landscape photography, people photography, motion photography. But I knew immediately that i enjoyed it even though i was terrible that it wasn't what i thought it would be

FitnessSpecialist :

so with everything you know youre interested in or at least enjoy the idea of

FitnessSpecialist :

its really important that you take the time outside of work, or as youre relaxing to actually figure out what goes into it before deciding if you want to pursue it further

FitnessSpecialist :

thinking about the "idea" of it does nothing but make you more apprehensive to trying it

FitnessSpecialist :

if you try something and you hate it immediately - thats cool, at least you know you hate it immediatley

FitnessSpecialist :

but if you don't actually pursue some things to see if you like or don't like or are impartial to them you will simply never know

FitnessSpecialist :

so when all of these summate into what would be a career - just like a multifaceted job, you have to know what is going to go into each piece of that.

Customer:

yes, ive been attempting to do eactly that, using my spare time to explore other interests.. but then i land in the mother of all quarter-life crisis problems: i have too many interests to stay on task.

Customer:

even when i tell myself: okay, pick two interests and work on them, my mind goes wild

FitnessSpecialist :

clarify what task this is though - work? Or outside of work?

Customer:

oh outside of work

Customer:

things i want to develop and maybe link to a career one day

Customer:

or just simply interests

Customer:

to keep me sane :)

FitnessSpecialist :

of course :)

FitnessSpecialist :

of the things you want to develop into a career, do you get genuine enjoyment out of them

FitnessSpecialist :

and of these other things you are interested in, like the design and creative outlet part - would any of these actually benefit you in your current job?

Customer:

oh yea. i mean, i havent quite found concrete interests (if that makes sense?) to even develop into hobbies. ok let's take for example the WNYC radioshow called radiolab (not sure if you've heard of it) basically its a melting pot of all these amazing things: philosophy, sociology, art, music, science, psychology, etc... these guys create a new approach to learning, not only through these talks (and analyzing the material), but by creating an awesome soundscape through music and, well, sounds that one of the co-hosts creates. I would want to create this TYPE of melting pot too!

Customer:

and to answer your question...

Customer:

i suppose there is some room for creativity. I am responsible for optimizing our ads (whether in look, copy, concept, etc..)

Customer:

HOWEVER

Customer:

realistically I am usually flooded with making due (making sure I get through my other responsibilities) that I dont really have much time to get really creative

Customer:

and even then, the parameters are really narroq

Customer:

*narrow

Customer:

that i can work with

Customer:

it seems that what already works is what works, and the changes that i DO end up making are so minor

Customer:

that it ends up being mechanical for me

Customer:

im way more conceptual, and while my boss allows for that, realistically, i am not sure how much it applies

Customer:

but then again, maybe i just dont know yet

FitnessSpecialist :

the firm youre at, are they strictly for marketing to this particular group?

FitnessSpecialist :

or are there other areas that might allow you to expand

Customer:

no, i work on the advertising team at a tech company (a dot.com)

Customer:

there is only one product (essentually) so not much that i can advertise

Customer:

just making slight changes to advertise that one thing

FitnessSpecialist :

i can understand this from both your perspective but also the company perspective

Customer:

yea of course

FitnessSpecialist :

I think no matter what is that you have expressed you have ideas of interests that at face value "look" to be interesting but from what you have mentioned you are concerned those interests might not even be that enjoyable

FitnessSpecialist :

waht you also mentioned a few lines up is that you dont have the time to dive into 90 million different interests but that some of these other things could be (potentially) considered for a career or part of a career

FitnessSpecialist :

am i on point so far?

FitnessSpecialist :

correct me otherwise

Customer:

yea, that seems right

FitnessSpecialist :

so obviously you need a career, no matter what.

FitnessSpecialist :

you also have a strong interest in what could be a self-made career

FitnessSpecialist :

what i think you should do is this

FitnessSpecialist :

get a piece of paper

FitnessSpecialist :

write 1 or 2 words down for each thing, be that a hobby, interest, potential career facet

FitnessSpecialist :

then assign an arbitrary number of 1 through 4 to them. 1 being ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO TRY

FitnessSpecialist :

4 being - no thanks, XXXXX XXXXX happens it happens

FitnessSpecialist :

all split up equally

FitnessSpecialist :

so if you had 24 "things"

FitnessSpecialist :

you can only have 6 4s

FitnessSpecialist :

6 3s

FitnessSpecialist :

etc etc

FitnessSpecialist :

this doesn't need to be done during our chat

Customer:

ah ok got it

FitnessSpecialist :

im thinking as a exercise to help you see what you really sorta want

FitnessSpecialist :

but on paper so your brain doesnt boil

Customer:

yes of course

FitnessSpecialist :

the next part could be the same thing but deciding WHICH of those "interests" could absolutely be a career

FitnessSpecialist :

versus what could be a fun time thing

FitnessSpecialist :

like for me photography, im awful at it but i love it

FitnessSpecialist :

so i know i would go broke trying to do it

FitnessSpecialist :

but i just LOVE it but i also use it for work

Customer:

yes, and for me jazz as performance is definitely a hobbie

Customer:

*y

FitnessSpecialist :

OK thats perfect

FitnessSpecialist :

so you know that listening, playing, writing is probably going to be a part of your life

FitnessSpecialist :

but you know that right now, a career in jazz or performing arts is not priority

Customer:

to some extent, but not as a career for sure

FitnessSpecialist :

yea

FitnessSpecialist :

exactly

FitnessSpecialist :

now whats another example

FitnessSpecialist :

of soemthing that pops in your head

FitnessSpecialist :

just like that jazz did

Customer:

yes... and sorry for lagging this whole question... but what about those careers that im not sure exist? we've all heard of journalists OR composers, but who would have thought of creating a radioshow that integrates both of these? does this question make sense to you?

FitnessSpecialist :

no apologies needed, im here to help

FitnessSpecialist :

and yes it makes sense

FitnessSpecialist :

one of things you may actually fall into, or may actually come up with is what that actual career might be

FitnessSpecialist :

that custom melting pot career

FitnessSpecialist :

actually let me side track really quick - get a journal - anytime something pops into your head, write it down so you can move on.

FitnessSpecialist :

ok so back on track - i think you are eventually going to develop a hobby or interest into a part of what will become that career

FitnessSpecialist :

i think its really important that if you are seeking the idea of the non traditional career that you actually explore the things you are interested

FitnessSpecialist :

i would be willing to bet radiolab comes from all different backgrounds, i would imagine they probably didn't really just randomly come up with the idea of finding other things and creating this fusion

FitnessSpecialist :

your concerns of the "what ifs" of all the things that interest you at face value really need to be explored, tried, looked in to.

FitnessSpecialist :

actually just think of it like your basic 4 person band

FitnessSpecialist :

vocals, bass, guitar, drums

FitnessSpecialist :

each person can probably read music

FitnessSpecialist :

each might be able to play the other instruments

FitnessSpecialist :

but they are a band, because of their strong suites and weaknesses all working toward goal

FitnessSpecialist :

same with a handyman

FitnessSpecialist :

he has a solid large set of skills, supported by a large tool box with the appropriate tools

FitnessSpecialist :

he/she is able to fix a myriad of household issues because of the experience and the tools that have been developed

FitnessSpecialist :

see where i am going with this?

FitnessSpecialist :

when you assign the values to your interests, its really important you start to weed out the things you deem "unnecessary" so you can focus on the essentials that have to be there

FitnessSpecialist :

you keep your journal for your own ideas

FitnessSpecialist :

but you also keep working at your current job because that is actually skill building

FitnessSpecialist :

if nothing else, you are picking up the marketing nuances for a product in an already established community and can apply that toward your own marketing

FitnessSpecialist :

(and paying the bills and funding a future project :))

Customer:

YUP! this i totally get. ok so before i accept your (very very much appreciated answer) I just want to reiterate: write down all the things i like, hobbies, whatever moves me, then lump them into subgroups, then work on those intersts and in the process shift towards what you like more (weeding out what i deem unneccesary)

Customer:

of course all while keeping my job

Customer:

and if i cant stay focused on the interest (because i want too much all at once)... try to pick less subgroups to stay on task? not sure if it works this way...

FitnessSpecialist :

Well we know the facts right? 1.You know you have a good job in a tough time. 2. You know you have a lot of different interests and potential hobbies that might be a part of your life but also that you want to at the very least, know more about.

Customer:

yes

FitnessSpecialist :

So to keep yourself organized you create a list to be able at least get on paper what you want to try, what you want to keep in your life(Jazz for example) and then what you immediately recognize as either not needed, or (once you try it) a "dislike". Then you can begin to make that list smaller and smaller and chances are by then you will have already started to develop some of the traits and interests that you will eventually turn into your idea of the "melting pot"

FitnessSpecialist :

Also after that you know that by developing your skills and likes, that the ACTUAL idea of what you might turn into your self employment will probably start to be formed or developed.

FitnessSpecialist :

But in the meantime, we can both agree that your job pays your bills and gives you secure income to enjoy your hobbies and interests while more importantly getting you set up for furthering your career, your networking and building your marketing skills for when you actually take that "melting pot" step

FitnessSpecialist :

the numbers you assign to each task are just so you have a visual representation and a category that is concrete so you know how important it is (on paper) without having to think about it over and over.

Customer:

yes, well thanks again for allowing me to drag this quesion :) I never understood how these psych/ life coaching type questions worked on JustAnswer -- they could last forever!

FitnessSpecialist :

the length of time isn't important, getting a solid understanding on how you cab begin to organize your groups of interests and enjoyment so you can actually build your skills without over thinking it is whats important

FitnessSpecialist :

its my pleasure to assist you

FitnessSpecialist :

did it help?

Customer:

yes it did! I feel much more on point and am more certain that I am going about things in the right manner. Thanks again, and please keep up the excellent work!

FitnessSpecialist :

Thank you very much - if i helped please remember to press accept and leave some positive feedback

FitnessSpecialist :

do you have any other questions?

Customer:

of course. I will let the JA guys know. For now I think i'm question free. i'l take that first step, and very likely ill have questions then :)

FitnessSpecialist :

Well I will be here to assist again - as another person who took that step into a different career. Just remember you can request me if you wanted to work with me again

Customer:

great! good to know

SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist