Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

GEOLOGY or ASTRONOMY ? In about 2000, I was glancing through

Customer Question

GEOLOGY or ASTRONOMY ? In about 2000, I was glancing through an Australian social club book, at work. I wish, I should have bought the said book. It was a book about odd, strange and mysterious things. One litle page was mentioning this mystery : The equatorial bulge of the Earth was not quite matching its equator! Of course it is very odd. Look at Saturn or Jupiter, their bulge is exactly at its equator. Anything else, would violate the principles governing the laws of Physics, such as the Centrifugal Force etc. I made countless searches throughout the Internet, I got nothing! Can you help? Thank you.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

As you can see in more detail at the sites below, the shape of the earth is slightly deformed and is not perfectly spherical because of its rapid spinning on its axis; this causes the equatorial bulge. The gravitational force being greater than the centrifugal force alters the shape of the earth causing it to not be a perfect sphere, and that is why the equatorial bulge does not match up exactly with the earth's equator. (scroll down to #14 d.) (this answer has nothing to do with religion, but I liked the information found here re: the equatorial bulge)

Saturn and Jupiter have different gravitational pulls than earth, which makes their equatorial bulges match up with their equators.

Please let me know if you have any questions or need additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,