Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Was there as much tension in the workplace in the 1950s vs.

Was there as much tension in the workplace in the 1950s vs. today? Was there less sin and more love and harmony in the workplace during the 1950s vs. today? Can you please compare and contrast workplace relationships in the 1950s vs. today? Can you please be as specific as you can? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: General
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am still waiting for an answer. I asked this as a General Question; I don't know why it was pushed to a Homework Question.
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the confusion, the question is back in General. This is just a note to let you know that sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
O.K.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, Jaime and thanks for your insightful question.

I feel there was not as much tension in the workplace in the 1950's versus today's work environment. There was more love and harmony and more regard for our fellow men/women in our work environment in the 1950's than today. The 1950's was a 'feel good' era, due to just coming out of WWII and it was part of the baby boomer era, as well. People were happier in general, most men worked, while many wifes/mothers stayed at home and were full-time homemakers. One thing that can be compared and contrasted as a very important and significant item in the workplace of the 1950's as opposed to the workplace of today is the pay scale and treatment of women.

Women were paid significantly less and mainly had jobs such as secretaries and were typically not found in the 'top management' strata of most companies. Also, quite often, some male bosses took for granted that female employees were there to serve them and not just to take steno and type letters. Some female employees felt that if they didn't go along with the boss, that they would lose their jobs, so they did some things they would be ashamed of. I don't think there was 'more' sin in the workplaces of the 1950's, but in my opinion, this would certainly define what you would call 'sin' in your question.

In the workplace of today, women hold high positions, such as CEO, CFO and Presidents of companies. Employment laws are in place to prevent discrimination involving minorities and women. Sexual harassment is against employment laws, whether it involves a man harassing a woman or vice versa. While, on the whole, women are making much more today than in the 1950's, there is still a disparity in many corporations, where women still make less than men for doing the same job.

Due to fierce competition, general economic conditions, and higher unemployment rates today, the workplace is much more 'cut-throat' than in the 1950's. Unscrupulous employees would not think twice about selling out their fellow employees, if it would get them ahead. 'Whistleblowers' are on the rise and are rewarded for bringing something untoward to the attention of the authorities and/or the company. This is not a bad thing, but in contrast with the workplace of the 1950's, in that era, employees would not choose to become a whistleblower, for fear of not being believed and losing their jobs.

I hope this covered what you were asking about.

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click on 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist