Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

My crepe myrtles have white spots all up and down the branches

My crepe myrtles have white spots all up and down the branches and trunk. When you rub these, red comes out of them. What do my crepe myrtles have and how do I treat them.

Thanks. XXXXX
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear your crepe myrtle is having a problem. A photo would be helpful. You can upload a photo by clicking on REPLY, then at the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon (it's right next to the YouTube icon). Instructions will pop up. On some browsers, this doesn't work. if that happens, you can put your photo on one of the free photo sharing websites, such as www.photobucket.com. Then come back here and paste the link to your picture in a REPLY.

If you can't post a photo, let em know if the white spots are dry or moist, feel hard to the touch, and if the red underneath is moist.

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the white spots are soft when you rub them the red is about the color of blood and soft too. Here are the photos.graphicgraphic
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello.

This is a scale infestation. A very massive one at that.

The red you see is used to produce the natural pigment carmin:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine

You can get insecticide for this but you can also use a dish soap/water mixture you will need to spray each 3-5 days depending on how they react.

This insect does not fly, make sure it does not come from touching other branches. Talk to your neighbors if they don't have the problem also, it's better to fight on all front at the same time.

The best natural predator is ladybug, if you find some go put them in the tree.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting