SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Sirs/Ladies: I would like to know if there are methods used

Customer Question

I would like to know if there are methods used to remove (some amount) of sugar/honey from liquid mixtures, using only objects/ingredients found in a standard kitchen, or that can be bought in a standard supermarket/.pharmacy. Of course, the ideal method would minimize the change in the original mixture other than removal of sugar/honey.

Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
Hello, do you have examples of those "liquid mixtures"?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, yes, I'm thinking specifically of a tea mixture , whose ingredients (in order)are :water,cardamom, black tea, cinnamon, ginger,cloves,natural flavors,star anise,cane sugar and honey,"natural flavors",vanilla and citric acid. AFAIK, the order of an ingredient is proportional to its proportion in the mixture.

Of course, ideally, I would like to retain as much as possible of the original flavor, only less sweet. Someone suggested a peeled apple, but I imagine the apple parts would affect the original flavor.

Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
Once the sugar is in the mixture, it's almost like an inversed genie in a bottle expression (it hard to get it out).

It would be really hard to use a centrifuge to remove sugar as you would remove lot of the other ingredient at the same time.

It might be possible to use the freezing process to remove a lot of it without changing anything chemically. When freezing, the ice will eject a lot of the sugar and form a syrupy substance. From the taste of the ejected syrup, you will know how much of the other ingredient were also removed with it.

In the industrial sugar processing world, they use pre-made sugar crystals that serve as a growing substrate and allow the sugar in suspension in the liquid syrup (from sugar beet and sugar cane) to add, molecule bu molecule to the sugar crystal. The crystal are then took out and the liquid rejected for animal feeding or derived product.
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
Respectfully XXXXX XXXXX other expert who posted an answer, you will not be able to freeze out really much of the sugar as the polar solution between the sucrose and water will only come out of solution if water is saturated with sugar - meaning at the point of no longer holding any more. For reference to super saturate something, warmer water is used because it allows more solutes to be dissolved(sugar in this case). When the water cools after being heated for the supersaturation, the extra falls out of solution. Honey is sweet generally because of a glucose or fructose and should follow the same suit.

You have a way to do this.. though the mixture of tea may not be exactly perfect as 1 method may absorb a little bit of the solution's flavor, but shouldn't change it tremendously. These ways will probably require a little bit of time as well.

First way is to evaporate the water from the solution and provide an attachment point for the sugar to adhere to when it recrystallizes as it will reorganize in such a way that will create crystals. As I mentioned in the previous paragraph, as the water evaporates you will create a solution that eventually ends up being supersaturated(compared to the original volume) and thus the sugars will fall out of solution. Ideally the rest of the products that make up the tea should form a "sediment" on the bottom, then all you would need to do is re-introduce water and mix again for your drinking.

The attachment point would be something like cotton string, similar to what children use to make rock candy. And this is where the time requirement is, a small amount of heat may assist in this to help the water begin to evaporate off thus giving a relative supersaturation to the now smaller volume of solution, encouraging the sugars to attach to the strings. For better directions on this, you can simply google "Rock Candy" and you will see how they do this.

So ideally, warming the tea ever so slightly as to not oxidize the solution, changing the flavors, you pour that as a warm solution into a jar.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist