pdheslin
pdheslin, Consultant
Experience:  20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
60622861
Type Your Question Here...

Sound/video recording (youtube) question: I want to make a

Customer Question

Sound/video recording (youtube) question: I want to make a youtube video for my nephew. He wants to do a cover on a popular song. My nephew is only 9. I wondering.....

What is the easiest way to put this together?

I found the instrumental version on youtube...
What is the best way to record the audio of my nephew...? My husband knows how to do video editing so I'm sure he'd be able to help in some way but what I need to figure out is how to get the 3 together:

1. Instrumentals of the song
2. My nephew singing (does he do it acapella, and then we ADD it to the song???)
3 The video.

What are my options? we would like to do this basically for free with equipment we already have....we have brand new computers, headphones, and video editing equipment. Ideas? Thanks.
Category: General
Expert:  pdheslin replied 2 years ago.

pdheslin :

Hello, thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

pdheslin :

There's several different ways to go about this and I'm assuming you want the least costly way so I'll start there.

pdheslin :

Depending on the type of video camera you have, it probably has a fairly decent built in microphone.

pdheslin :

One way to accomplish this, is to play the instrumental in the room, while he sings along with it. This way, you won't have to try to match up his vocals to the music, which would be nearly impossible to do outside of a professional recording studio.

pdheslin :

Another option is to use your video editing software to layer the audio, if your software allows more than one audio track. In other words, have the instrumental on track one, and his vocals on track 2. If your software allows this, you may be able to adjust the volume of each track, so his vocals blend in nicely (not too loud, not too quiet.) If you tell me what video editing software you have, I can tell you whether it has that capability or not, and how to do it.

pdheslin :

So at this point I want to ask you, what type of camera do you have, and what video editing software do you have? We can take it from there.

Customer:

hi let me read what you said just a secon

Customer:

wow I think im already way in over my head, lol ~ ok let me start with this question: If I were to use my laptop, could have him wear headphones listening to the track (instrumental) and then have him singing into a mic? I want to start slow with that and let my hubs handle the video editing

Customer:

thats my only question for now, then i'll accept

pdheslin :

Yes, that would work.

pdheslin :

Or, you could kill two birds with one stone and record the video and audio with the camera.

pdheslin :

What kind of content will be in the video, him, or other pictures etc?

pdheslin :

Now there is a third way if you really want the audio to be completely separate.

pdheslin :

There is a free software audio recording program called audigy

Customer:

this is our inserpation:

pdheslin :

This would allow you multiple tracks.

Customer:

lol

Customer:

of course they have high quality devices and we dont

Customer:

we just want to make a simple video but with good quality, we dont quite want it to have that 'home video effect'

Customer:

so we can do editing/etc

pdheslin :

Oh gosh that's adorable :)

Customer:

seems the main thing would be finding a way to layer/combine

Customer:

the audio/video

Customer:

lol

pdheslin :

The software does that.

Customer:

k

Customer:

I think im good, lol

Customer:

"i'll accept"

pdheslin :

I am very familiar with the editing software world, I have the entire Adobe Suite

pdheslin :

I want to help! :)

Customer:

you've jjust helped by talking to me

Customer:

Do you have any tips/advice on the side?

pdheslin :

If you have more questions, please come back and ask me,I can help.

Customer:

for what I'm trying to do and then i'll accept

pdheslin :

I do yes....

Customer:

k

pdheslin :

Film in natural light, try to film him outside

Customer:

k great, anything else to remember?

pdheslin :

I wish I knew what editing sofware you had, I could help you with knowing what you're capabilities are

Customer:

hang on just a sec i'll look

pdheslin :

I have a 10 year old son who plays cello and we've done Youtube Videos.

pdheslin :

Ok

Customer:

i think its 'videostudio'

Customer:

x4 pro

pdheslin :

Ulead VideoStudi probably, yes

pdheslin :

that's a good program, easy to use

Customer:

yeah i cannot do it at all my husband has used it once before

Customer:

to make a video

pdheslin :

What I would do...is extract the audio from the YouTube background you found. Want me to do it for you?

pdheslin :

If you give me the youtube link to the video, I'll turn it into a sound file for you, an MP3 that you can pull into Video Studio as an Audio track

Customer:

woah sure

pdheslin :

I love doing this stuff.

pdheslin :

ok hang in here a few moments

pdheslin :

Downloading in now, next it will take a couple of minutes to convert it.

Customer:

k thanks wow =)

Customer:

and then let me know how I can do it for in the future

pdheslin :

This software lets you download videos from Youtube and then convert them into other formats, or extract just the sound:

pdheslin :

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-Download.htm

Customer:

wow thanks im so happy

pdheslin :

No problem! :) How old is your nephew?

Customer:

10, lol

pdheslin :

just like my son :)

Customer:

he kinda looks like that kid (to give you an idea)

Customer:

haha yeah I thought...welllllll if THAT kid could get famous you never know, lollll

Customer:

its just for fun

pdheslin :

YOu want to do everything you can at this age to encourage this kind of ability...who knows what else they can get involved in, lol

Customer:

my nephew he raps and sings

Customer:

YEAH I promote good grades the most, but he's adorable its just fun to see what you can do with opportunity

Customer:

he's an honors student

Customer:

so this is just for fun

Customer:

(lol)

pdheslin :

I was just happy my son finally found "his niche". He learned cello then taught himself violin :)

pdheslin :

My son is an honors student too, which makes HIM happy, we never pushed him on grades. My husband and I were horrible in school. But my son has Aspergers (autism spectrum) but is very high functioning.

pdheslin :

This download is taking a long time...sorry :)

Customer:

oh im cool im doing lots of other things at the same time =)

Customer:

goood for your son! yeah school can be VERY difficult =)

pdheslin :

Ahh good )

pdheslin :

Especially 5th grade, it's been brutal. He went from having one teacher all day, to 7. They change teachers and rooms every hour .

pdheslin :

I'm uploading the MP3 to a site where you can download it

pdheslin :

This link

pdheslin :

Hold on that link isn't correct

pdheslin :

THIS link

pdheslin :

Ok, there you go, that link works. You can right click on the link and save it to your local hard drive.

Customer:

omg im so glad and thankful, thank you =)

Customer:

weird its not letting me click it

pdheslin :

You are welcome!

pdheslin :

don't click it, can you right click the link?

pdheslin :

Hmm

Customer:

no

pdheslin :

Let me try again, sorry about this.

Customer:

no prob bob

pdheslin :

try this link

Customer:

haha it worked

Customer:

omg thank you how exciting

Customer:

ill gladly accept! =)))))))))))))))))

pdheslin, Consultant
Experience: 20+ years of internet site creation and search engine optimization. Dozens of search tools at my disposal.
Expert:  pdheslin replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kind accept :)
I'm glad it worked out for you. If you have further questions on how to reach your goals for this audio/video project, I'll be glad to help.

You can bookmark My Profile and ask me questions directly or, just put "For Pam" in your question.

Have fun!
Warmly,
Pam Heslin
Expert:  pdheslin replied 2 years ago.
Hello! I answered your video and audio question and converted that sound file for you on 4/21. I'm just following up to find out how the audio and video are going with your nephew. Is he ready for the big time yet? :)
I'm here if you want to ask any questions!

Warmly,
Pam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lol thanks. if anything happens we'll be sure to give you your credit and mention you down the road!! haha thanks again