Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

When can I start safely planting here in Newark, Ohio ?

Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I'm a biologist and avid gardener, and I would like to help you. Planting times vary depending on what you wish to plant. If you'll give me the names of the vegetables or other plants you want to grow, I can give you planting dates.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No vegetables: I just want to plant the flowered plants that I've been seeing in the stores....
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. You are in gardening zone 6 according to the newest USDA map. Most of the perennials (plants that come up year after year) can be safely planted now. Common perennials include phlox, purple coneflowers, peonies, poppies, columbine, and sedum.

Annuals (plants that grow for only one year) come in so many varieties. Some are tender and can't take frost. These include geraniums, many petunias, zinnias, marigolds, salvia, cosmos, and many others. To plant these, you'll want to wait until after your average last frost date (which is May 3 for Newark). Some annuals are hardy and can be planted outdoors now. Pansies, violas, some petunias, and bachelors buttons (also called cornflower).

If you know the names of specific flowers you'd like information on it, I'll be glad to help. Just tell me which ones. To do that, or if you have more questions, just click on REPLY. I hope you'll be successful with the flowers.