JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

My Dad passed away about 5 months ago. One of the things I

My Dad passed away about 5 months ago. One of the things I inherited was his vehicle. He owned it free and clear and I wanted to change the ownership to myself, getting it registered and insured. I live in CA, the vehicle is registered in CA, what should I bring to DMV so I am prepared and don't have to make a 2nd trip and further any inconveniences.
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your dad's passing. Is anyone administering his estate in probate court?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm the executor of dads estate. Is that what you're asking?
Okay, very well. Have you gone to court to file any papers yet?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes my lawyer has done that
Is the estate open or closed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that's a good question, I'm not sure. Explain what that means exactly and maybe I can figure it out.
Is the lawyer done with your dad's estate and has everything been divided up? Is he done doing all of the court work? Are you done dealing with the lawyer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The lawyer isn't finished with the estate, it's all in process. We are waiting for the probate court date to finalize the will. Possessions have been divided up as per the will which stated share and share alike but his financial assets haven't been dealt with pending the court date.
Thank you.

This link explains how you would transfer the auto into your name if there wasn't an open probate case:

However, your dad's estate is open. So, you should double check with your estate lawyer first.

Otherwise, the process for transferring an auto between family members (with you singing as the seller as the estate executor) is explained by the California DMV here:

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help, I will do both, contact my lawyer and go to the website, thanks again.