Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

I have noticed in the last 3 days that both my grapes and figs

I have noticed in the last 3 days that both my grapes and figs have shown a simaliar problem. The underside of the leaf on the grapes, have deveoped a golden color, then wilting then they become dry. My figs have a dark shade on the leaf, then they too dry up. Can you help me? Your site was listed under Plant diseases.
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
Hello. I think i have an idea of what may cause this.

Can you describe me the state of the vegetative branch, especially the grape?

Does it affect the leaf more exposed to direct sunlight than those more in the shade?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The fig trees are less than a foot tall and were planted last year. The grape vines most affected were those that was also close to the ground, the next was at the top of the growth. All were exposed to drect sunlight. All new growth due to time of year.
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
First i must say that never worked on figs (they are on my todo list of plant to get).

For vines what you describe might be a lot of stress related condition made worst by very hot and dry condition. Even if grape vines tolerate drought and heat well, every plant have it's limit. It may also be too much watering or mulching touching the bark.

The closest problem to what you describe is phytoplasmas. In the case of grape it usually go by the name "Flavescence dorée" (often seen in French as it's mainly common in France). Here is a link to the description of the problem and some picture of advanced damage (it may be slightly less this on yours if you have more tolerant cultivar):
It may explain why fungicide did not work as it's more related to bacterial infection.

That act a bit like oak wilt and clutter the vascular system of the plant. It then tend to dry. There is not much to do when parasite have entered the vascular system. You could burn the pruning to reduce the amount of pathogen around and try to increase any predators (insects, birds or bats) that can kill the possible transmitter insects. The close to ground and top affected area would correlate well with insect transmission.

Researching if fig could also have this, i found this paper:
FMD usually cause lighter spot instead of dark area like you mention, but if the sun punch hard and the air is dry they could very well become dark.