Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Extensive experience in research and problem solving.
Type Your Question Here...

How do you clean white marble called crystalline Thassos that

How do you clean white marble called crystalline Thassos that has some "vinegar stains? Many [email protected]
Category: General
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

There are a few different things you can do.

The baking soda is a good suggestion, but there is a method to it. While vinegar is and acid (acetic acid), baking soda is a base.

When combined the chemical product of mixing the two is carbon dioxide and water.

Here is the proper way to apply it.

Baking Soda Poultice

• First blot the spot to remove as much of the substance as possible.

• Next, spray the spot with water.

• Cover the spot completely with a paste made from baking soda and water (to the consistency of sour cream). Cover with plastic wrap.

• Leave covered for at least 24 hours, the baking soda will dry and pull up much of the stain.

• After 24 hours, remove the poultice and wash area with mild soap and water. Apply a fresh poultice if needed.

There are other ways, including some that are "quicker", but this is the safest.

You should always do a spot test first.

If the procedure provides any progress at all, then you know it's working and can repeat it until the stains are gone.

Are you with me?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried your method of baking soda made to the consistency of sour cream and the stains were worse. Called a marble restorer who told me NEVER use baking soda pushes the stain deeper.
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Your marble restorer may not know his chemistry. This is the most common way to remove a stain of this nature. There are other ways that I can share with you if you'd like.

Of course, he would prefer your hire a marble restorer to do it. I suspect that anything less than doing so would, in his or her opinion, "push the stain deeper". If you were to truely "push the stain deeper" doesn't it make more sense that it would actually fade?

As I said, you have to spot test it first, and I hope you did that. I'll continue to help if you wish. Just let me know.