SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

i would like to start my own business and im not sure what

Customer Question

i would like to start my own business and i'm not sure what the first step is? I would like to find out how much demand is out there for my business but not sure how to do it and get the feedback i need to move on to the next step.
Category: General
Expert:  GeneralistWindylen replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to help you today. What kind of business are you planning to put up? Where is your target location?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want to start a mobile welding unit my target clients are farmers.

How about the location?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lakeville, Ohio it rural

Thank you for that! I am going to work on this now and will give you answer as soon as possible.

Here are the steps: First, you need to register your business, you may call at(NNN) NNN-NNNN This is if you want to reserve a name for your business, etc. Second, find a location. Third, when all documents are prepared, you can already hire employees. Also, the Ohio Department of Development's 1st Stop Business Connection provides free state-level information needed to get started ((NNN) NNN-NNNNor 1-800-248-4040 )http://business.ohio.gov/starting/

I hope you find my answer helpful. If you do, kindly click "Accept", so I can be compensated for my time. Your positive feedback and bonuses are highly appreciated too. If you need further assistance, please let me know and I will be happy to assist you more.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I find out if there would be a need for my business? I thought about a survey like I said bit how would I get the people to givee feedback. I don't want to jump in completed blindfolded.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I thought about making a general survey but I done know how to get it to people and back from them.

Hi! Will get back to you again in a while. Thank you!
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
My name isXXXXX you for using JustAnswer. When I am not assisting customers part time on JustAnswer I am the owner and operator of a very niche specialized business in my area based around the automotive trade, non mechanical. I would like to give you my perspective of small business and what I learned over a decade of what worked in what was considered a "tough" part of a trade to earn in.

The very first thing I would do is become familiarized with the tax classifications of the different types of business in your state and area(LLC vs DBA vs S-corp etc...) to ensure that when you do make the move to add this to your life that you are at an advantage tax-wise. Nothing is worse than having to pay out tons of money on taxes as a part-time job

The next thing I would STRONGLY recommend doing is to thoroughly research your competition, examine your skills and decide whether you are going to be able to offer something your competition can't and a price that will be competitive. If you are the only one in your area doing this, than that already puts you at a huge advantage.
I will start the next part with this line - keep it in your head.

You might be the best welder in Ohio, but if nobody knows about you, your lights are off.

Its really important to have a solid customer base, by this, unless people are desperate, you will need to have patience in building your business, especially if you decide you would prefer to do this full time. Any small business owner will tell you building a solid customer base takes time and patience. Its very unrealistic to decide you want to do this overnight, quit a full time job and not be in trouble financially UNLESS you already had enough customer support.

The next part in this is your skills as a welder, if you are going to approach the agricultural community its important to do solid work consistently on the materials they will need the work done on. For example if you are great at welding 3/8ths steel but the farm community needs their watering booms fixed and they are thicker or thinner, it would be important to hone all of your skills before approaching these customers to ensure they know immediately you are up to the task and that when they make recommendations there are no "But" statements made.

You can do things like direct mail for marketing, but these cost. The easiest thing to do would be to "pound the pavement" and "hit the phones", hard. Meeting and talking to people whether through the phone. If you have the time, starting building a paper list of farms, heavy equipment sales and repair, small family owned farms, anything you can think of that MIGHT need your services on a mobile basis, even small welding jobs for thinks like lawnmowers. Spend a day making calls, leaving messages and even driving over to those close to you to talk to people. Prepare to write notes, these will be the details you should follow up on. You will need to follow up, sometimes aggressively. I got some of my best customers by being incredibly persistent, to learn they wanted someone to be aggressive with them in searching for patronage - which was well rewarded. This is a feeler type thing from person to person so I would recommend not being pushy, but calling, introducing yourself, explaining briefly your skills and capabilities and explaining your mobility for the services.

Coming up with an idea of a rate package to start is needed so when you talk to people you can give them at least SOME idea of what it will cost for a range of jobs. Keep in mind you might even get a fair bit of work by seeking out small equipment repair, as tons of lawnmowing and trailers can benefit from welding and repair. Think beyond what you want to do (agri) and be prepared to do other more simple work, the bread and butter, until you get into the community you want.

No matter what, your skills need to be up to snuff. As farm repair is a pretty penny. Its important to be persistent and polite at the same time while explaining the benefits to them. Hit the phones, call call call. You should search "Elevator Speech" and perhaps try to form your 1 to 2 minutes per phone call on getting in the information that is the most applicable.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
I neglected to mention - the point of talking to people in person over the phone is with small communities, rapport goes a VERY long way, compared to something impersonal as a mail flyer(which again is a low percentage way for any feedback).

Its important because niche professions require a very personal interaction sometimes. As good quality work builds good relationships and good relationships help support quality work. It otherwise gives you a chance to feel out the potential customer and the potential customer to feel you out to make sure both are comfortable performing work and commissioning the other person to do the work

Please remember to press accept if any of my answers were helpful as it is the only way I am credited for my time and effort assisting you. Your deposit is merely held on to unless you do this. Also you can press reply for more information.