Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years in the field
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

How can you attach a thumb strap to a roland accordion

Category: General
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

What method can i use to attach a pernament thumb strap to the accordion can it be taken apart in order to do so.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
keep searching please
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I was asked to look at your question to see if I can help, and I think I can. It's been a little while since I've played, but as for attaching the thumb strap, I think I can still do that.

There are a couple different types of thumb straps. One is "center mounted" and the other is "plate mounted".

Does the strap have metal on both ends?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Are you replacing an existing thumb strap or is this the first thumb strap you've had for it?

Can you provide any information on the thumb strap itself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

this is the first one and i was going to attatch a nylon one on her

OK... one more question.

The model of the accordion?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Roland FR18
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for bearing with me while I gather the details.

There are a couple of things about this instrument that I want to mention before attmpting to attach the thumb strap yourself.

1. First, you have a very fine accordian - and a fairly expensive one.
  2. This accordian is made mostly from a composite material, which substantially increases the difficulty/risk of any type of machining to attach the strap properly.
  3. The FR18 as it comes from the factory does not include a simple mechanism (for example, pre-drilled or riveted area) for attaching a thumb strap.

This doesn't mean it can't be done, and it's possible you could do it yourself. But my first recommendation would be to simply take it to a service center that has experience in making such modifications and have them add the strap. Having it done professionally will guarantee the integrity of the instrument, and I don't think it would be very expensive. And of course, the final result will be as if it came with it.

So I figured I would run that by you first. If you would like to go with that suggestion, I can certainly find an service location near you that is authorized to work on these. Just let me know.

Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience: 25+ Years in the field