Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

plants kiwi won t bloom had for years have male and female live

plants kiwi won t bloom
had for years
have male and female
live in nj
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 4 years ago.
I guess the most obvious question I have first is that are you positive that you have both male and female kiwi plants? Nothing is going to ever happen if you have same sex plants.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes i m sure no doubt
Where the kiwi is planted is important to the success of the plant. Kiwis require a large amount of water during the growing season, but also require that the soil drains well. A planting site that is full of sun is important as well.

Is this consistent with the conditions now?
Expert:  Patience replied 4 years ago.
Yes, the conditions that Jay T. mentioned are necessary. Even so, kiwis can take as long as seven or eight years before flowers appear. A fertilizer intended for blooming plants might help speed things up, however. Try a fertilizer with a higher second number, such as 5-10-5.

Unfortunately, though, you may have a bigger problem than just slow-to-mature plants. You may need to start thinking about getting a hardy variety. Kiwis like living in places that are consistently warm throughout the year and New jersey does not have that to offer them.

Since the plants are susceptible to injury from frosts, the best you can do is to use a heavy mulch or other protective covering or warmth-giving set ups for the plants when the weather begins to dip below thirty degrees.

If you have questions, please let me know. Click on ACCEPT or leave feedback and then we can chat further as needed.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Best regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience: MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
Expert:  Patience replied 4 years ago.
Please let me know if you need follow up to your answer, and I will be happy to help!