General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
Type Your Question Here...

how do I deter rabbits eating my plants

how do I deter rabbits eating my plants
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

I grew up on a farm and we had a very large garden that was constantly under attack from rabbits and other wildlife. There were a few things that we did to help deter the little animals from entering the garden.

First was to install a small poultry wire fence around the garden. The fence actually needs to be dug down into the ground up to 12 inches so that the rabbits do not dig underneath. This is probably the most effective deterrant, but is the most expensive.

The second method used was to create a stinky smell. Two options are used cat litter and dried blood. Both of these scents will be recognized as danger to rabbits and will keep them away. The dried blood can be purchased in gardening stores and comes in a powder. It needs to be reapplied after rains. Some people use fox urine, but I have not had any personal experience using this.

This is a good starting point for keeping the rabbits away.

Please feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.