SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

WHAT KIND OF SOIL DO YOU NEED FOR HOME HERB GROWING?

Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
This is a somewhat multipart answer and dependent on the herbs you are looking to grow. Some plants(and herbs) like fairly good drainage, however some prefer more damp soil(for example I like basil a lot and it seems to flourish better-in sandyish soil- when its wetter) conditions. In the same respect there are herbs that are considered robust that really don't mind where they are planted. What are you considering planting?

Assuming this will be in herb beds in the garden(as opposed to some potted plants in the house), your best bet that will fit a majority of applications is a good topsoil mix.

Also for feeding the soil, composted manure(I have an abundance of horse manure at my disposal) before winter has always proved excellent without being smelly or giving a malflavor to the herbs. This can be mixed in with the topsoil if you can find it or I have laid this overtop some herb beds before winter and removed with a straw mix in the summer, just for trial sake. You could always do the safe route and purchase topsoil but then add something like an organic miracle grow to it in the event you don't have very many options available.