SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

What kind of pruning or care is needed the first year of asparagus

What kind of pruning or care is needed the first year of asparagus growth? The plants have just come up and are about 8-12in tall.
Hello again,Customer and welcome back to Just Answer.

In the first year of growing asparagus, weed the beds frequently, but be careful to not disturb the roots. As needed, add more topsoil and/or compost around the growing shoots until the trench is filled; then spread a four to eight inch layer of mulch, made of leaves or hay, around the base of the plants. They should be watered regularly. Do not harvest any spears the first year. It's important to cut down dead foliage in late Fall and keep the side areas filled with compost.

Please read additional detailed instructions, here:

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click on 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Hi MDave,

Mike again from the Zoysia grass question and the knee pain questions. I hope all is well.

How is your asparagus planted? Did you plant from seeds and germinate in the ground, or were these transfers from something more juvenile. Also are these ground planted? If so, what region are you in or are these in a veggie type bed with hand picked soil?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Mike,

They were crowns that I planted in weel cultivated soil. They're coming up and I know theres no harvesting the first year but just wanted to know if I just leave them alone with no trimming or care outside of weeding and mulching?

Thank you.

Yes you are correct, you leave them alone trimming wise and do your mulch and weeding. You really want them to grow with an abundance of whatever they need nutrient-wise(and as you know without cutting) so the stalks can pull what they need. I asked you about planting type as most times at least up northern we have germinated inside(unless warm spring is early) during early-mid april and dropped them in ground mid-april to may, just to be sure that germination isn't hindered by anything extremely cold. The reason I asked about region and soil etc, is that asparagus is sometimes considered a relative a "needy"(using this term lightly) but they like to have fair drainage so if you are in an area where the soil has a lot of clay in it, compared to sandyish soil the stalks will probably be a little softer. It sounds like youre good to go on both fronts.

Are you also familiar with the progression of harvest in the following years?
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, thanks Mike

Excellent. It's been a pleasure assisting you as always. Don't forget if you like working with me you can always request for any questions specifically.