Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Hi Anna, I have a different question for you as well: I

Hi Anna, I have a different question for you as well:

I have four apple trees, planted approx 4-5 years ago. two are Liberty ( recently beginning to produce fruit) and two delicious.

The delicious tress are healthy, foliage-wise, however it gets very few blooms, and so far no fruit.

Any suggestions for me?

Hi again,

Are the Delicious apples dwarf trees or standard size?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
standard.... I think... how would I tell? They were purchased from my local nursery, and they were covered in blooms at the time of purchase, but few since
Thank you for getting back to me. The trees would have been labeled as 'dwarf' if that's what they are. Unlabeled trees are usually standard trees. There is a great variety in age of bearing among different cultivars of apples. delicious apples are known to be one of the slower ones because they have a habit of upright growth. They often won't bear fruit until they have been established for about 6 years. Other cultivars, such as Liberty may begin at 4 years. Dwarf trees bear at an earlier age than do standards. Over fertilization can result in delayed fruiting, too. It encourages rapid growth of the trees and they put their energy into branching and leaves, rather than flowers. The trees were probably grown in ideal conditions before you bought them because the garden centers like to put out blooming trees to promote sales. The shock of transplanting will delay future blooms. Unless you have been over fertilizing, I suspect that the delicious trees simply haven't reached the point where they are ready to grow fruit. give them a couple of more years. Here's a site with extensive information on fruit trees and age of bearing: iewer?a=v&

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll get a few apples from your Liberty trees to enjoy this year.