Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

After a bulb flower has bloomed, can bulb me pulled up, and

After a bulb flower has bloomed, can bulb me pulled up, and put away for the next year?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

What kind of bulb is this - tulip, daffodil, etc.?

Were the leaves dried up yet?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

leaves weren't dried up. I pulled them out of ground and they are laying on their side. I don't know what kind of flower they were but not tulip or daffodil.

Thanks

Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I apologize for the delay.Your question was moved out of the General category and into one where I couldn't respond to you, so I had to wait for it to be moved back.

You may not be able to save this bulb for next year. It is possible to dig bulbs up and replant in the fall, but we usually wait until the leaves have dried and fallen over before taking the bulb out of the ground. The reason for that is that the leaves make food for the plant and send it down to the bulb to be stored for the next year. If we pull the bulb out of the ground before the plant has stored food, the bulb won't have enough strength to grow the following year. However, since the bulbs are already out of the ground, and many bulbs are quite resilient, you can try to save them. If the leaves are still XXXXX, XXXXX't cut them off. Put the bulbs in a flower pot and cover them with soil. Give them a little water, but don't soak them. Too much will cause the bulbs to rot. Once the leaves turn brown, you can remove them. This fall, you can plant the bulbs in the ground in the area where you want them to grow. with a little luck, they may be all right. How deep they should be planted depends on what kind of bulb they are. I can help you figure that out if you'll describe the flowers - colors, how tall they were, etc. To give me that, or if you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you success with the flowers.

Anna