SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

I have owned a Black & Decker Dustbuster 200 for about 12 years.

Customer Question

I have owned a Black & Decker Dustbuster 200 for about 12 years. It no longer holds its charge for very long. What might be causing the problem? The electrical outlet works and the charger seems to work (e.g. it gets warm when plugged in). The imprint on the charger indicates that its output voltage is 9.5 volts (US). Looking at the instructions for the Dustbuster, I am guessing that the rechargeable NiCD battery has worn out. Does this sound right? Is there anything else that might be causing the problem? Is it worth replacing the battery and, if so, where would I find a replacement battery? What is the specific "model" number of the replacement battery?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately I think you are probably correct. Batteries, even the rechargable ones reach a point(after enough cycling) where they simply need to be replaced. The charger and outlet are probably still in perfect shape, unfortunately this is probably just due to the age of the battery.

We actually see this a lot with car batteries, that even though they are recharged regularly through driving they simply die after a while, same thing with laptop batteries, cell phone batteries and even self powered lights. Though I can tell you 12 years is a great amount of time to get out the DustBuster. I had one for a long time myself.

The replacement batteries are actually pretty hard to come by, and when you do, they can get expensive(sometimes 20 to 40 dollars) - they do offer a non-rechargable skeleton to put in the back I believe but regular use of the vac will make this very expensive. One of your other options is to call your local vacuum store and see if they can source anything from any of their private manufacturers or suppliers for you. They may be able to fabricate a battery if you still want to use it. This is worth a try.

I actually took a few minutes to source some choices for you from walmart. If you click here you will find a selection of various vacuums in different price ranges, all rechargable BUT with the added benefits for some of them being WET and DRY vacuums. I know my little dust buster was dry only, so this is definitely something to consider.

If I can be of further assistance simply hit reply, if my answer has provided you with help please press accept so I can be credited for assisting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How / where would I obtain the "nonrechargeable skeleton" that you mentioned?

Well your best bet would be the closest vacuum parts supplier, to see if they can source one for you - but unfortunately the hand held vacuum might be so old that even 3rd party manufacturers have stopped making them due to a complete drop in demand for them. If I recall correctly, because I haven't seen one at least a few years, they used to run on D cell alkaline batteries.

The other option would be if you can find a battery specific store in your area - we have one that actually deals specifically in vacuums and batteries(just by luck). Most battery supply and service stores are able to find power solutions for everything from golf carts to watch batteries. But they should be able to tell you if the skeleton is still available for alkaline batteries. Worst case might be the battery store might be able to fabricate up a similar pack with similar voltage and cell count so you get close to the same performance. Though custom made parts tend to be very

For whatever its worth, the price of a smaller hand held vacuum might be worth even more because of the upgraded performance the newer handheld vacuums have.

You can also contact Black and Decker directly tomorrow, once the weekend has ended. They may be able to tell you authorized service centers or even authorized parts replacement options to find perhaps an old-new stock battery for it.
Customer Service General Inquiries:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Was there a typo in your response? I think you meant to write that

the hand held vacuum might be so old that even 3rd party manufacturers have stopped making them due to a complete drop in demand for them.

(You wrote sold.)

I'm sorry yes there was, I did mean to say so old. Many times with certain items they are produced in such a way they are designed to be replaced after a given time period as they are relatively "consumable" goods. Best case if you are sure you want to keep this same vacuum would be to exhaust your local options for battery supply and vacuum parts - if anyone is going to have a chance at finding a replacement, it is them.

Please let me know I assist you further today, and when you are satisfied with your answer please remember to press accept so I am credited for assisting you.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Thank you for the accept. Just to let you know even after accepting an answer we can continue correspondence. If you would like, leave me your zip code and if it would help I can get you started on some places for sourcing some parts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. My zip code is 11366.
Ok great, thank you. Just give me about 20 minutes and I will see what I can find for you available in your area.
OK so here you go:

Closest choice I believe will be Turnpike vac http://www.turnpikevac.com/
Turnpike Vacuum & Mower
Freshmeadow, NY 11366 Phone : (718) 740-6100 ‎

The next choice that seems very promising is Broadway Vacuum, in Astoria
http://www.broadwayvacuum.com/
36-16 Broadway, Astoria NY
Phone: 718 728 4242

Your other options might be actually contacting your local Sears store, where I suspect you purchased from. You may need to speak to a manager or a manager in the vacuum section but they may be able to at least give you a part number.

For your own reference, here is a listing of vacuum parts and repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the vacuum stores. The link to the listing merely opened up an Internet Explorer Google search window.
Yes if you click on the small map and let it load, there will be a button on the top left that lets you obtain directions from any location and print it out . I figured this could help you if you wanted to drive there from work or from your current location or home.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
My pleasure

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here