Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

How can I get my phalenopsis orchids to bloom if they havent

How can I get my phalenopsis orchids to bloom if they haven't bloomed in two years?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. I'm sorry to hear that your orchids will not flower. Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

How old are the plants?

What are the night time low temperatures where the orchids are kept? The daytime highs?

What type of fertilizer do you use? How often?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That's okay, no problem. My orchids that I'm growing are about three to four years old, and I fertilize them about once a month, with Shultz Orchid food. In the summer, daytime temps are about seventy to eighty degrees and night in the high sixties. During fall and Winter, sixty eight daytime high and we have a pellet stove that keeps the temperature even at about seventy degrees. I have four phalenopsis, one of which is prospering. The large pink Phai Long Tiger is again blooming. The only ones being stubborn are miniature orchids, one yellow two white. I also have two Dendrobiums that are flourishing. All except for the miniature plants.The plants are kept in the sunniest and warmest part of our house, when the sun is high. For the most part it's partial shade which I think they like. I know the big plants love it there.
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I’m working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. Please don’t respond to this post as that can lock me out of the question. I’ll be back shortly.

Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for waiting. Sometimes orchids can be stubborn about blooming. One thing that helps more than anything else is to increase the difference between day time and night time temperatures. For some reason, that often induces blooming. Ideally the night time temperatures should fall to 55*F to 58*F, with daytime temperatures as high as 97*F. That is often not practical, but sometimes even a 5*F change in each direction can be enough. When the day time temperature can't be increased, sometimes it will work if you can just get the night time temperature down into the 55* - 58*F range.

The American Orchid Society (OAS) states that blooming depends on adjustments to temperature, watering (less), feeding (less often), humidity, and potting. There si along article on the subject which you may like to read. They give very detailed instructions about what to do. Here's a link: f+&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgkmgInUOwFA8X5FGtOTmJ15P6JUesOyhjdzImeaHw74sD50i6-sgZQhO7KifNgZycaq1wQfSDpDTU95gKcBbHSTEMAeR5dSMfmgqHDooBoQT3ynWiz0FkvwY3RQrJlb3DCwWZS&sig=AHIEtbQa4KfdzsrDMIvzuVwbJfp2xgiDYw&pli=1

Here is another one on the subject:

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll soon have these orchids blooming again.