Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

How high of a fense can a coyote jump on average??

Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Coyotes can jump 5-6 feet from flat ground, on average, but they are also very good at climbing and scaling a fence as tall as 10 feet. To keep coyotes out of your wildlife or pet areas, It is suggested to firmly attach a wire portion to the bottom of the fence, so they can't get a toehold to pull themselves up and also to prevent them from digging under the fence, which they are capable of. A 4-6 foot wire apron attached to the bottom of the fence will prevent them from digging.

To construct a fence that coyotes can't get over or climb up, use materials like bricks, wood, cement blocks, or net-wire, which is most often recommended. Make it about 6 feet tall, and add extenders to the top of the fence that extend outward about 15-20 inches to prevent the coyote from climbing the fence. You can also use coyote rollers along the top of the fence that will prevent them and other critters from being able to grip the top of the fence in order to climb up and over it.

For diagrams and instructions on how to construct wildlife fences to keep out coyotes, please visit:

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click on 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get a differant from other people that work with coyotes control. I do not accept the answer that you gave me..