Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

In farming what is the best use of agricultural land in terms

Customer Question

In farming what is the best use of agricultural land in terms of revenue generated per acre
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

This depend on many factors, like the market around, the machinery available, the scale of the whole operation, the kind of soil, available laborer in the area, transport cost to buyer, competition in the area, your tolerence to risk etc...

If you give me a bit more information on your case i could suggest something closer to the reality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If any equipment necessary was available and if scale was not an issue what would deliver the best return if farmed in an environment like the UK and to sell either in the EU or export.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
It's hard to pick up a "best". Among front runner you get Hazelnut, Colza (for the oil), wheat, soya, tomatoes (lot of transport expense), mushrooms (obviously not in open field).

If you perform a second and third transformation, lot of thing like fruits and potatoes become interesting.

It depend a lot of the market conditions. At one point tabacco was very profitable and at one point in history tulip bulbs what the bomb before the prices crashed.

Some interesting avenue is biomass with biannual willow harvesting or giant herb like Miscanthus Giganteus. But currently most prices for biomass are not high enough because demand is still low (but it should climb proportionally with petroleum prices).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The answer did not provide specifically the revenue return for teh best performing crop - e.g. 1 acre yields 3.5 tonnes per acre of winter barley Current price approx €155 / tonne ( expected to rise )
Therefore gross yield = €543 / acre - So what crop provides the best yield - Your expert suggested some crops but did not support this with yield per acre.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Martin - see my response in the relist section - Relist: Incomplete answer.
The answer did not provide specifically the revenue return for the best performing crop - e.g. 1 acre yields 3.5 tonnes per acre of winter barley Current price approx €155 / tonne ( expected to rise )

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Sorry i was not automatically notified initially (something that bother me with the "relist" feature).

Wheat is about 7 to 8 tonnes per hectare (Ireland have the best weat yield that i know).

Colza/rape is about 3 tonnes per hectare.

Soya can be 1 to 3 tonnes per hectare, but as wheat do well you may be closer to 3 than to 1. It's still a good rotation crop fixing lot of nitrogen in the soil. Just wheat will drain the soil and just rape will cause disease buildup.

Tomatoes depend on the variety, to calculate the yield, multiply the production of a plant area to reach an hectare for comparing.

Nuts of all kind have yield hard to predict. Some years will produce twice as other. The main advantage is that they are perennial with low maintenance and the price follow.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Martin - price per tonne would have completed the answer but I'll go find that myself.
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure.