SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

I lost my registration renewal card. I need to find out what

Customer Question

I lost my registration renewal card. I need to find out what the fees are for my car.My license plate # XXXXX can you please help me ?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for using just answer. I can assist you in finding your fees for registration renewal.

What state are you located in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm located in Adams County, Colorado, can you help me?
I sure can, just bear with me and I will look up your renewal fees for your county.

Is this for a regular passenger vehicle?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, 1998 VW Beetle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, 1998 VW Beetle. Are you able to find my info?
My apologies for the delay. So what was stated on your registration renewal card was whether you needed to be re-checked for SMOG and your renewal fees. These are good for 2 years so if you remember doing this last year you are good, if you didn't do this last year the fee is $25 at the test stations. Information on this can be found here.

Important note on this is that newer vehicles are not required to be tested until the fourth model year. For your vehicle, this puts you right at the time to be tested unless you did it last year. Again, though its only 25 dollars for the SMOG test.

To renew you can actually do this online here UNLESS your vehicle is a diesel, which I believe it may be. Because emissions testing for diesel vehicles is different, HERE is the list of the testing stations for them with the fee each station charges, it is slightly different at each but around the same range of prices.

Unfortunately I cannot calculate the actual dollar amount of the renewal - you CAN however call the country clerk on monday to find the information because you lost yours. Typically this is a function of vehicle age, mileage, taxable value etc on newer vehicles.

Your clerk is:
County Clerk / Recorder

4430 S. Adams County Pkwy.
Brighton, CO 80601

Monday - Friday
7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
(Excluding holidays)

Here are a listing of Adams County DMVs from the state's website:

4430 S Adams County Pkwy Ste E 2001 Brighton,NNN-NN-NNNNbr/> Mon-Fri 7-5

Aurora - Map

3449 N Chambers Rd.

Suite A
Aurora, 80010
Mon-Fri 7-5

North Pecos - Map

12200 N. Pecos St
Westminster, 80234
Mon-Fri 7-5

Commerce City -Map

4201 E 72nd Ave

Suite A
Commerce City, 80022
Mon-Fri 7-5

Westminster - Map

8452 Federal Blvd
Westminster, 80031
Mon-Fri 7-5

Watkins - Map

5150 Front Range Pkwy

Suite G
Watkins, 80137
Wed-Thu 8-11, 12-4

I left out a little information - having trouble sending the answer over to you.

To register your vehicle:
You will need your license
Proof of insurance and
Proof of emissions
Registration fee from the clerk (cash or check only).
Head to your county clerk's office or other title and registration office.

If doing this by mail:

Remove the blue address decal on the renewal postcard and affix it to an envelope.
Include a check for the amount listed on the renewal postcard. Write your license number on the check.
Include your emissions test certification, if applicable.
If you don't receive new registration stickers within four weeks you need to contact your clerk again
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your time, I'll call on Monday to try and find out what the fee is.
You are more than welcome, thank you for the answer acceptance. My apologies for not being able to retrieve the information directly as the offices are closed. They should be able to re-send your renewal card and treat it as if it were lost in the mail. Or they may even be able to give you the information directly so you do not have to wait and can proceed with your testing and renewal.