SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

HOW DO YOU LOOSEN A REALY RUSTY NUT AND BOLT? IVE USED PB

Customer Question

HOW DO YOU LOOSEN A REALY RUSTY NUT AND BOLT? I'VE USED PB BLASTER FOR TWO DAYS AND IT STILL WILL NOT BUDGE.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.

FitnessSpecialist :

Hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX hopefully I can provide some assistance to your rusty bolt problem.

FitnessSpecialist :

I will switch us over to question and answer format and begin your answer - it appears as though you have gone offline for the moment.

So there are a few ways you can go about loosening this rusty bolt you have attempted so far to loosen. A lot of avid automotive DIYers see this particular situation A LOT with undercarriage hardware made from mild steel that sees winters and rusts terribly quickly.

Keep in mind you can increase your leverage on this by sliding a metal pipe over the wrench to increase that turning "lever" you are using.

The first way is to be patient, continue with your PB blaster, giving the bolt a good solid tap to possible break up some of that corrosion. It may take multiple soakings over a couple of days.

The next way is to try tighten the bolt(or nut) slightly more, hoping to break that rusty bond and then to try to loosen it.

The ultimate way to do this is to add heat. Obviously this will be dependent on the surrounding materials. Adding heat expands the metal thus loosening that bond allowing it to be separated easier and turned loose. Many times adding heat in the form of a small propane or acetylene torch is needed, allows you to control where the heat goes. Typically you heat the metal up to nearly red hot, then try to turn it when hot. Obviously protective gear should be used and this not used around anything flammable.

The other way to heat is by using induction coils - which in the case of nuts and bolts simply transfer the heat(non-flame) through a coil that heats up the item youre trying to break loose. You may be able to find these at an auto parts store, or perhaps something like Harbor Freight. They are considerably safer than open flame heat and work just as well.

Worst case scenario if bolt simply will not budge would be to cut the bolt or drill it out, then retap if needed. This sometimes can happen when people try to cold crank a bolt and it snaps or when working with really rusted out fragile hardware.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello.

When nothing work, i use a pneumatic impact wrench. You did not mentioned the object in question. If it's too big you can rent one, if it's portable you can bring it to an automotive mechanic and he will do it for you.