JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

We are going on our first cruise in a few weeks and have heard

We are going on our first cruise in a few weeks and have heard about the high price of staying in touch back home. What is the least expensive method for making making calls from the Caribbean to the US? I have heard that you can buy a calling card specifically for cruises but have not researched it.
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Do you have a cell phone with nationwide coverage?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have US cellular w/nationwide coverage but I called them and they said if I make a call outside of the US, it will be charged through a 3rd party and they have no idea what the charges will be but they said they are normally expensive
Will you be visiting

Saint Croix
Saint Thomas
Saint John
Water Island
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I said Carribean but that's probably not accurate.
Belize
Cozumel
Roatan
Thank you. If you are not stopping at any of the U.S. territories, then you will not have cell phone access.

So, then, your best bet is to simply purchase the phone cards/minutes that will be offered ON YOUR SHIP. Do not purchase a lot of minutes up front because, you will find, as the cruise continues on, they will be selling them at lower rates.

Of course, at your port stops, you will also have access to use the local internet cafes.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So basically I will buy a phone card and use the phone in my room (if there is one in my room) to use the card for making calls? I've heard to not use the phone on the ship directly beacuse it is very expensive. I don't see why they don't integrate a calling service into the phone instead of offering poeple to buy a phone card. Is this to make it confusing so that some people will just pick up the phone and call, not knowing how much they are being charged and thus the ship makes a litte more profit?
Right do not use the phone that's in your room. Outrageously expensive. The high cost is largely because the ship has to use satellite technology (not local cell phone towers) to get a signal.

JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience: Skilled at assisting with general information needs.