Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Idk which catagory this goes in so ill just ask! I have alot

Idk which catagory this goes in so ill just ask! I have alot of grass i need to kill and cant afford round up plus it doesnt last long so what kind of home products would work? I was told clorox and water but idk!!!

What you can use depends on what you want to use the area for after the grass is dead. Is it to be a garden, play area, etc.?

Thank you for the additional information.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well most of it is driveway but some of it is around things i cant mow!
Thank you for getting back to me. I’m working on your answer and will post it as soon as I have it typed up. Please don’t respond to this post as that can lock me out of the question. I’ll be back shortly.

Thank you for waiting. Grass is one of the harder plants to kill, and the seeds can live in the ground for years, so matter what you use, you'll probably have to repeat the treatments. For the driveway, the bleach you have heard about would work. I wouldn't dilute it with water, though. Grass is too tough for that. Use the bleach straight for best results. A heavy application of salt also kills weeds, if you can buy bulk salt so it won't be too expensive. Rubbing alcohol also is effective, but would probably be too expensive. Boiling water, applied more than once, also kills most plants. It isn't practical for large areas. Before applying bleach or salt, be sure to check the weather forecast. You want to have several dry days to have time to penetrate.

For the places where there are things you can't mow around, as long as those
'things' aren't other plants, you could use salt or bleach there, too. If other plants are involved, you might be better off putting down a mulch of a thick layer of newspapers, covered by bark or pebbles. Unlike plastic, the newspapers allow water to reach the roots of the plants nearby.

I've tried the homemade herbicides using vinegar and found they don't work except on very tiny annual weeds. I wouldn't bother with them.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you success.