hrguru206
hrguru206, Consultant
Experience:  Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
62657179
Type Your Question Here...

Im having a problem getting my son a state issued id. Here

I'm having a problem getting my son a state issued id. Here is my dilemma and I don't know how to handle it.

My son is 19 years old and he doesn't drive yet. He lives with his grandmother and we are trying to get a state issued ID. The problem is we are having a problem getting a social security card for him because he needs a state issued id and we can't get the state issued id with out the social security card. There has got to be a way to take care of this. Is it possible for someone to tell me what I can do to get him a duplicate social security card so he can get a state issued id?
Category: General
Expert:  hrguru206 replied 4 years ago.

hrguru206 :

Hello, Do you have his birth certificate?

hrguru206 :

What is the state?

Customer:

Hi. Yes I do, it is in NJ

hrguru206 :

Does he have a health insurance card? (not medicare)

hrguru206 :

or a school id?

Customer:

Yes but his name isn't on the card. I have Horizon BCBS and it only shows my name. I got something from the broker that our company uses that shows that he has health insurance and they said that wasn't acceptable.

Customer:

No he doesn't have a school id.

hrguru206 :

If I were in the same position I would go in person to the local social security office with the birth certificate as well as any school records, medical records, and insurance records and ask how to proceed. However, I understand you already spoke with the office. I am going to opt out of this question and open it up to additional experts. We have some DMV experts and they may be able to field the question from the other side. This will allow you to receive some additional information.

Customer:

ok...thank you