Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

I have a gardening question

Customer Question

I have a gardening question
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

What is the plant, tulip?
Are they outdoor now? If so, at what latitude are you?
Does the plant look healthy otherwise?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We're in Central Ohio. The plant is a daffodil and it's a 1st time bloomer. Everything looks healthy.

Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
If they look healthy it's probably not a parasite or fungus. It might be that you planted the bulb too deep and that the etiolated part in the ground was too long (those are less solid).

It might also be because of the variety used. Many plant are not natural now (hybrid) and can have flower too heavy for the stem. This can get worst when water from rain stick on them.

It may be related to the soil type. Too much organic soil not only will cause plants to grow too fast, they will not be anchored properly and in humid condition they can tilt.

Another possibility is the lack of light. Also, the lack of wind may cause them to have it too easy, not building enough rigidity into the stem.

Depending on how much there is, you could put a support stick and a loose attach so that the plant still get enough strain to build rigidity.
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

There are many possible causes of daffodils falling over like this, including those listed above. However, one of the most common ones is too warm weather in the early spring. When that happens the plants sprout quickly and the stems grow tall and weak. There's not much you can do about that except hope for a colder winter and cooler spring next year. Since most of us in the Midwest have experienced a warm winter and very early spring, I suspect that is the case in Ohio, too. Too much nitrogen in fertilizer used is the second most common cause. The soil itself is very unlikely to have too much nitrogen in it unless you have applied a high nitrogen fertilizer or some animal manure.

If you have more questions about this, let me know by clicking on REPLY. When you're ready to accept, Martin did respond first, so you may want to click on accept on his answer.

Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.