hrguru206
hrguru206, Consultant
Experience:  Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
62657179
Type Your Question Here...

Hi, you showed me the followings as the definition of a marriage

Hi, you showed me the followings as the definition of a marriage in Washington State:

RCW 26.04.010 (1) Marriage is a civil contract between a male and a female who have each attained the age of eighteen years, and who are otherwise capable.

What I don't know is something very plain to you. Please think of me as a five year old child. I don't know what kind of action specifically mean "a civil contract" in the above code. Verbal? Written? A registration? A ceremony? Or a solid marital status in another country (which might be my case)? Or a solid marital status in another state?
Category: General
Expert:  hrguru206 replied 2 years ago.

hrguru206 :

Hello, I am happy to assist. In the state of Washington a civil contract would mean that you hold a marriage license, which would be the official document. Do you hold anything similiar from another country?

Customer:

Yes, the US immigration office recognized it while processing our citizenship.

hrguru206 :

Then you would also be legally married in the US

Customer:

I have a client who think they are married common law sense, but what specific action do they have to do in Washington? They both lived in WA before and after common law marriage. They are both in their fifties.

hrguru206 :

For your client... Do they currently reside in Washington State

Customer:

Yes.

hrguru206 :

And do they believe they have a common law marriage through the state of Washington?

Customer:

WA is not a common law marriage state. That's the problem.

hrguru206 :

That is correct, therefore the only way they can be legally married in the state of Washington is to apply for a marriage license and have it signed by someone legally allowed to perform marriages in the state of Washington.

Customer:

Good. Now I am comfortable with their tax filing.

hrguru206, Consultant
Experience: Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida