hrguru206
hrguru206, Consultant
Experience:  Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
62657179
Type Your Question Here...

Im not sure which category this belongs in, but

Customer Question

I'm not sure which category this belongs in, but I'd like to discuss the transfer process from a community college to a state college. I'm a little nervous that my credits won't transfer. Both the community college and state college of my choice haven't been very helpful as to specific classes I should be taking to ensure they'll be accepted. Is there any way someone can provide me some further insight into this?
Category: General
Expert:  hrguru206 replied 2 years ago.

hrguru206 :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer, I may be able to provide assistance as I transferred from a community college to a State University and also transferred from one state to another.

hrguru206 :

Have you completed your associates degree from the community college

Customer:

No, not yet. I should complete my associate degree within a year.

hrguru206 :

Are you planning on completing your associates degree before transferring

Customer:

Yes

hrguru206 :

Will you be staying in the same state

Customer:

Yes

hrguru206 :

What state are you in?

Customer:

Massachusetts

Customer:

I'm attending Bunker Hill Community College, and I'm hoping to transfer to University of Massachusetts Boston

hrguru206 :

Although I can not guarantee that all of your classes will transfer, they most likely will and you should be able to start as a Junior. typically if U of Mass has a specific requirement for one of their programs and you must take a similiar class that you already took then they will at least give you credit for your previous class as an elective.

hrguru206 :

I transferred out of state and everyone of my classes transferred, however because the new state had some state specific rules I did need to retake Comp and History. This should not be your case as you are stayin the same state.

Customer:

Yeah, I'm in the psychology program, so I wasn't sure if there was a chance some of my credits wouldn't transfer.

hrguru206 :

You should not be nervous about your credits, the community colleges are set up to work with the state universities. The application process to be accepted into State School is also typically easier when you are on track to transfer as junior as a graduate from community college.

hrguru206 :

In addition even if you need to take one or two extra classes, just look at the cost saving from attending your first two years at community college.

hrguru206 :

Once you are accepted to State School only then will you receive the official letter stating which classes transfered. I know many people that have taken this route and I have heard no complaints.

Customer:

Okay, thank you so much. It explains why both schools couldn't really offer insight as to which classes to take. I was afraid if I took... Nutrition as a science for example, then that wouldn't transfer as a science credit since I'm in the psych program. A lot of questions ran through my mind. Also, state schools don't favor specific classes over others in determining acceptance to the college, do they? For example, taking Statistics online rather than a lab course, or Nutrition and Astronomy rather than Biology 1 & 11.

Customer:

11 = II

hrguru206 :

I would advise you to look at the University of Mass requirement for your degree program. For instance if they say you need Bio I and II (which would not be standard for a psych program) then you would should take something similiar now. If they say you need a science from list A then take a look at list A if Nutrition is listed then you should be fine and it will most likely transfer as a Science class if it is not listed then it will most likely transfer as an elective. Try to take classes similar to the requirements by the State School. This is what they will look at when deciding if it will pass for transfer into the actual program.

hrguru206 :

Typicaly online vs in class will not matter.

hrguru206 :

You should be able to view online the class requirement for the Psych program at University of Mass, Boston.

hrguru206 :

I hope this information has been helpful as I can remember clearly how hard it can be to get information directly from the school.

Customer:

That's the problem. I tried that, but there isn't anything listed online. I even called, but they couldn't really give me specifics. That's what has me stressed out.

hrguru206 :

Give me a minute and I will take a look

hrguru206 :

It is very strange that they do not list this information on the website, they give only a partial list of the general education requirements. I was able to speak with someone in the advisor office (general advisor) and they said for you to make an appointment to come in and sit down with them and they could help your write out an action. What they will do is look at the University specific requirements for the Psychology Major. Call

(NNN) NNN-NNNN and tell them that you wish to schedule an in person meeting. The person I spoke with was helpful and said this is really the only way to find out specific requirement and to map out an action plan.
hrguru206 :

If you found my answer helpful please select the green ACCEPT button as this is the only way I am compensated for my time. I am happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Customer:

Wow, you went above and beyond! I didn't expect this. Thank you SO much. Do you happen to by any chance have a link to the general education requirements you found?

hrguru206, Consultant
Experience: Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
Expert:  hrguru206 replied 2 years ago.

Yes, this is the link to the General Education Requirements: http://www.umb.edu/academics/vpass/undergraduate_studies/general_education_requirements/

I called them because I was so surprised that the information was not listed clearly on their website as I have seen at other schools. The person I spoke with was helpful and agreed the information was not clearly stated and that is when she advised that you schedule and appointment with an undergraduate advisor. I was also surprised that the info was not listed in the catalog under the major. I wanted to help as much as possible as I really do remember how challenging it can be to get a good solid answer from a University. I spent many long hours while I was attending school waiting in lines in different buildings and for different "advisors" just to be told different answers by multiple people. The larger the University the harder it seemed to be. Somehow in the end I made it out and you will too, just be persistent, ask lots of questions, keep records with names, numbers and conversations and most important just keep on completing your classes and the time will go faster than you can imagine. I wish you the best of luck, let me know if I can be of any additional assistance.

hrguru206, Consultant
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You have been extremely helpful. Thank you so much. :)
Expert:  hrguru206 replied 2 years ago.
You are quite welcome.