SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

is brazilian blowout dangerous for hair?

Customer Question

Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
To answer your question no, the Brazilian blowout process for hair is generally not dangerous and is typically used for all types of hair including fine, brittle and curly, even some damaged hair. The traditional solutions with formaldehyde as the straightening agent, which is carcinogenic(cancer causing) is the main concern as opposed to the treatment themselves. Formaldehyde is well known as a preservative in the mortuary trade.

The problem is some of the companies claim to use keratin(a protein) instead of formaldehyde which is supposed to be completely safe, however its effectiveness is generally agreed upon to be minimal. There are however a few companies using glutaraldehyde and thioglycolate in place of which can weaken and damage hair causing it to dry and break off.

The treatments can last up to and beyond 12 weeks because the hair is considerably more relaxed and when it does wear off, it does so quite gradually. Many people report much greater satisfaction on their first treatment versus their second which leaves them not as happy as the first time. Keep in mind, the FDA does allow the use of the chemical in cosmetics, but does not regulate it. A recent report of one of the solutions found levels 10 times higher than the legal limit set by the Occupational Safety & Health Administration(OSHA) which is the US governing body on occupational health.

The point to all this is, if you are considering having it done, go with a reputable salon that has a high satisfaction rating with the product and process used otherwise you could be playing with fire of a no-name salon using potentially dangerous, no-name product lines.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you suggest some of the salons that use the genuine product? or a chain of salons that are found everywhere.i live in new york city and there are just too many options so its hard to find the one that really complies with the guidelines.
I sure can, just give me a short time to do some sourcing and find some of the objectively top rated ones and I will answer again for you. In the meantime if my first answer was adequate for your original question please press the accept so I can receive credit for that particular answer.
I just wanted to follow up on this in hopes you are still getting it.

I saw my request however I am unable to find it outside of my email notification.

I have a couple for you, that actually sound really nice. Simply reply and request me in this and I can drop the places in for you.