Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Ok i dont know if there are any tree folks on here but ill

Customer Question

Ok i dont know if there are any tree folks on here but ill ask anyway! I have a bradford pear in my fornt yard and up until last spring it bloomed perfectly! But last year and this year it hasent bloomed! So is it dead or what???? Sorry wrong catagory!!
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

You do have the right category. I'm sorry to hear your tree is having a problem. Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

Does the tree get any leaves on it?

In what part of the country do you live?

Have the last two winters been colder or dryer than normal?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No leaves or buds! North Carolina! The 2010 winter was snowy and cold but this past one was mild!
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm so sorry to have to give you bad news. If the tree has not had leaves or flowers for two seasons, it is dead. There are many reasons a tree might not bloom, but if no leaves grow, the tree cannot survive.

To be absolutely certain, you can use your fingernail or a knife to scrape off a little bark on a smaller branch. If there's green wood there, the tree still has a little life. If it is not green, it is dead. You can also try snapping off a twig. Dead wood snaps off. Living wood is flexible. However, I have never seen a tree continue to live after even one season with no leaves. I suspect the winter of 2010 was too hard for the tree.

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. Again, I'm sorry to deliver bad news.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok ty so much!
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome. Wish it would have been better news.