SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

so how do I get my class B drivers license after I have already

so how do I get my class B drivers license after I have already retrieved my class B learners permit?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you today. Would you mind sharing which state you are in so Just Answer can further assist you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alabama
Ok so this is a little more information than a regular learner's permit for a class D license. You may have some of this information already but to be complete I will link you again to some of it. First thing is HERE is an electronic copy of your CDL driver's manual. You will need to learn and study it will also give a runthrough on testing procedure. This is what is required beyond the medical clearance for the exam including: a pre-inspection, a knowledge exam, and a "on road" driving test.

Here you will find the federal regulations for commercial vehicles. It has explanations on types, endorsements and restrictions. Here are the medical restrictions as well as some of the guidelines for testing which you will have to undergo and pass. Here is the Alabama DPS website for reference

In short you will need:

A Social Security card or other proof of Social Security number plus your current DOT medical certificate.If you are taking the skills test, proof of insurance for the testing vehicle.$25 for the written test, $20 for the skills. License fees are different for each class but class B is $43.50. If you are purchasing a commercial learner's license(which you have already done), or a license to operate only a school bus, the fee is $23.50. Various endorsements may be extra. Different counties may have fees as well.

The exam is like other driving exams, you will need to prove your knowledge of vehicle inspection and pre-trip inspections for safety as well as demonstrate your vehicle control in many aspects in combination with all the rules of the road, laws and other application restrictions and rules for CDL drivers.

This should answer your question thoroughly. Thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Good luck in obtaining your CDL Class B license.

Here is your list of Alabama testing sites
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist