Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

I am trying to Identify a purpl/blue wetland plant similar

Customer Question

I am trying to Identify a purpl/blue wetland plant similar to Pontederia Cordata. the plant has smaller leaves, grows in or next to the water and blooms all summer small blue flowers usually on the upper third of the plant
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question.

Will you tell me in what state you found this plant growing?

When you describe the leaves as smaller, are they narrower than those of Pontederia cordata?

Thank you.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Hello again,

It appears you went offline without seeing my request for additional information. There are a number of species of Pontederia in addition to cordata. Most likely the plant you've found is one of them. From what you have described, it seems that Pontederia lanceolata is most likely. Here is a photo of that species:

graphic

If that isn't it, let em know and we'll go from there.

Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi Anna, it is not the plant you identified...... It is about 36 inches tall small leaves. The Pelhams thin branches that branch frm the main stem. Th flowers are small blue and generally are on the upper third of the plant . The state is new york how do iI send you a picture?
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a photo will help. You can upload one by clicking on REPLY, then at the top of the area where you would type is a tool bar with icons. Click on the little paper clip icon (it's right next to the YouTube icon). Instructions will pop up.

Anna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here is the picture
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
I'm afraid your photo didn't come through. You can try a photo sharing site, or you can email the picture to http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

If you do that, include the link to this question, which is

http://www.justanswer.com/general/6dcgr-trying-identify-purpl-blue-wetland-plant-similar.html?r=ems|2012-03-19|176

And ask them to send it toCustomer I'll wait to hear from you again.

Anna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Anna I was able to upload the picture on my corporate email and sent it hopefully you get it its been a challenge as their system just didn't "take" my image. Mike
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX got it. It may take me awhile to use my books and websites to make an identification, but you'll get an email when I do. I appreciate your patience.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for waiting. while the photo becomes blurry when I enlarge it, I believe you bare probably seeing Lythrum salicaria. It is commonly called purple loosestrife. There area couple of different varieties, with one having looser flower heads, while the other flowers on a stalk. The plants are extremely common in NY wetlands and often form large stands, such as the one you photographed. While they are very beautiful, the plants are a non-native species, and are invasive. Conservation commissions are doing all they can to control them. I'm going to include a photo of the flowers and one of the leaves, so you can confirm. If this isn't it, let me know, and we'll go from there.

graphic

graphic

Let me know. Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
HI Anna,

Thank You for your effort. I will accept your answer of Purple loosestrife as that is very close. I was able to track down the owner of the property in the photo and found that he bought seed for that meadow. He remembered the wildflower seed company and we contacted them. They were able to (after some searching) identify it as "Dames Rocket". Thanks again for you persisitence and diligence. As a result of your Effort i will be planting purple loose strife! Mike
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome, Mike, and thank you for accepting. I'm glad you contacted the owner since Dames Rocket is not native, nor is it listed as introduced, so I would never have found it while searching for NY wild flowers. Dames Rocket is native to Eurasia, but is cultivated around the world. It is a biennial, but often seeds itself down.

Thank you again.

Anna
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You Anna! You are terrific!
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. Glad to be of help.

Anna