SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

Im in school at online columbia college MO. If i fail a class

Customer Question

I'm in school at online columbia college MO. If i fail a class like math. In this math class we have to post one problem per week from the book introductory of algebra. Does each instructor use different math problems?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
At most if not all schools, generally speaking professors who use the same books generally try to assign different problems(even or odd numbers) or alternate problem sets altogether to avoid students trading and copying answers.

There have been cases where professors have used the same problems from semester to semester, but sometimes these exact problems end up being from a different section of a book(a new edition for example) so they are more difficult to find by page number. Aside from that, sometimes when different book editions come out the same problem may be in a different spot in the same chapter.

In the cases of really large universities, where books may or may not be on contract and there are so many classes it would be impossible to prevent this unless each professor made up their own problem sets.

It very much depends on the professor and his motivation to do the solutions himself/herself or if he has a TA doing them for him, other than that they would do their part in ensuring academic integrity - but again this is student dependent.
Also, just to build on my response a little further, In a given calendar school year (for example 2011-2012 year) professors may assign a problem set for the fall semester and the spring semester but once the school year changes over, will assign the same set, however the problem set(because of publishing differences) will result in different questions.

This is assuming the entire algebra instruction staff uses the same exact book. To be sure you would have to find out the book.

Again, this is highly dependent on the professor because while they shouldn't be re-using problems if there has never been a negative consequence to him/her they may re-use in a school calendar year.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for the info. I'm been having issues with algebra, doing online class.
Best thing you can do to improve your mathematics is to continue to work hard at it. Mathematics is tough for the people who are not "math brained"(like myself) so the best thing is to work hard to stay sharp at it. Math is a language for some people and as the saying goes "use it or lose it".

I had to work hard on math through algebra up through calculus all the way through graduate statistics(which fortunately "clicked") and beyond while my classmates simply "got it". As much as I disliked it(and boy did I dislike it) I did every problem I got my hands on. I asked to work with other students who I knew were strong in math, because I knew they could relay the "why" and "how" of a certain procedure as from just the reason they did it. For extremely tough exams I remember driving to visit an old professor who is now a friend so he could continue to "tune" my math performance to ensure I really, truly understood.

The best advice I can give you is to continue to "plug and chug" those problems, even if you work through the tough ones using the written out solutions. If you can't find them, grab a solutions manual and spend a couple bucks on a problem and solutions set. If you have the time(and this may seem like a complete stretch, but hopefully not) if there is a local community college, or even a 4 year college, any professor doing education for advancing a student would probably lend some help. It seems crazy but if you want to continue to improve, just keep working at it. Having someone walk through a problem and to help you learn a "pattern" will help tremendously.

There may be training and teaching aids available for you as well. It might be worthwhile to invest in some additional supplements to improve as well.

Just keep at it Wink, and you'll improve. Just don't give up.