SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

if a vehicle has not been registered for more than five years

if a vehicle has not been registered for more than five years can you salvage the title to aviod the fees?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
Typically with most DMV's in the case of a vehicle being purchased from another person, and the first owner let the registration expire then once the purchase is complete the fees for a first time registration are the only ones that apply. Some states do not have registration expiration fees.

Salvaging a title is only for vehicles that have significant damage.

In the case of having to register each year, like in California, there is the penalty for each year period up to a point.

What state are you in? I could elaborate on this for you if you would like to get an idea of the fees involved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am located in california, the vehicle has not been registered since 05 however it has been insured the entire time so the registration was never canceled, so I would have to pay 7 years back registration. I had heard of a program that would exchange those penalties for a salvaged title, the vehicle is worth less then the fee required to register it
Ok so lets start there. What is the vehicle you are looking to register Year, Make, Model and Mileage - we can get a general idea of its worth.

Was the registration considered a seasonal surrender?
General the CA DMV has the structuring set up as the following for expired registration PAST 2 years of :
160% of the vehicle license fee due for that year
160% of the weight fee due for that year, if any

Plus a late fee of $100 and the $100 CHP late fee.

I will look into the program you are talking about but I really can not see salvaging a vehicle because of that.