Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Hi,I saw the Invisible Children video and was moved, then

Hi, I saw the Invisible Children video and was moved, then have come across various things indicating that it is a scam, or that the conflict is over. I am curious to know what the truth is behind this. Also, who is the "TRI" membership through? I can not find any information out on the meaning, abbreviation, or acronym of "TRI" as well as what they actually are. Why is the "TRI" aspect of the Invisible Children cause so vague?

Also, what is the meaning behind using an upside down peace sign as the TRI logo?

Thanks!
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Based on my research, it seems that Invisible Children is not really a 'scam', but they will not disclose all their information to the Better Business Bureau and many who have investigated have found that only 'some' of the money collected (less than 25%) actually goes to the children, but the major portion goes to the people who are promoting the organization. It is not considered a reputable non-profit organization. I think you'll find the following articles interesting:

The Visible Problem with Invisible Children

Kony 2012 facts

Invisible Children & Money

Break down of Finances

http://justiceinconflict.org/2012/03/07/kony-2012-the-invisible-children-advocacy-campaign-to-catch-kony/

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/scam

It seems from what I've read, that "TRI" stands for the work that the organization is doing in the tri-border region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo(DRC), South Sudan, and the Central African Republic (CAR). You are correct that the information is quite vague regarding what the acronym stands for and with a more forthcoming organization, I would think it would be more specifically described. The upside down peace sign attached to the TRI logo means that they are trying to restore peace to those regions.

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click on 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher