SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

How can I check the name of boat owners

How can I check the name of boat owners per HIN
Category: General
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist:
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
There are a few ways to find the owner of a boat using its HIN(hull identification number), the marine equivalent to a car or truck's VIN.

Using this information you have provided I will do my best to answer this question.

There are a few ways you can find the owner of a boat that is presumably abandoned.

The most common, relatively easy ways to find this are as follows:

1. Take the HIN and contact your local sheriffs office to file a lost property report. They will do their best to contact the owner of a "lost" boat which may or may not have abandoned. In states like Florida where abandoned boats are somewhat common this may take a little bit - in any case you may end up with a boat that is in fact abandoned and able for re-title. They may or may not be able to give you information to be carried into the next step to contact the boat owner if it was lost or stolen.

2. (taking any information from step 1) Contacting YOUR local DMV or Fish and Game department(assuming it may have been a fishing vessel) are 2 other similar options.

DMV - Boat ownership is considered public record so requesting information is possible but beware you may be charged a fee, similar to other information requests from a DMV. It it is an issue of being retitled in your name or claiming an abandoned boat the DMV will inform of the steps you must take if you want the boat, generally a 30-90 day process involving communication with the most recent owner.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The boat is not abandoned. I just need to know the names of current owner and previous owners. Home addresses would be great.

I did pull information from website boathistory.com however, it did not provide my info.

Thanks

Ok, your local DMV is who is going to have that specific information however may or may not give it out with good reason despite this information being considered public record. Same reason Boathistory.com only shows damage, repairs, things of that nature and carfax.com the same for cars.

If you get in touch with your local DMV they should be able to give it to you. You may have to approach it as an "abandoned" and let them know you are trying to find the name and address of the boat's owners.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is a DMV
DMV stands for Department of Motor Vehicles, they handle registration, testing and licensing requirements for each person and vehicle.
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist