SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

How many kids play football in america from highschool dow

How many kids play football in america from highschool down?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
I am presuming you are referring to what Americans know as Soccer, please correct me if I am wrong.

The numbers are tough to get exactly simply because the definition of "playing" can be considered kicking a soccer ball on a playground all the way to serious competitive travel league play and everything in between.

Soccer in American is undoubtedly one of the most played sports from ages ranging as low as 4-5 to 18.

A rough estimation would of the roughly 50 million children between the ages of 5 to 17 that a range of roughly 55-78 percent of them play soccer in some form or another. This means 27.5 to 39 million children have at least played soccer at one time. Some considerably more conservative statistics from registered US Youth Soccer state that around 3.1 million children have registered. With alot of recreation teams for the youngest of children, it is hard to narrow down how many exact people have played because in some areas soccer registrations are not kept nationally not to mention thousands of players, in thousands of different age ranges and leagues that may not all submit to national data.

Obviously as children get older, and as they participate in other sports, a specialization of talents begin to occur especially for those seeking a college or university career, but many times athletic children simply play a myriad of sports up until college where the NCAA rules in America tend to dictate you can only play "intramural" sports during an off season time as a form of exercise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO.. I was reffering to American Football...
My apologies, here are the same considerations for American football.

The numbers are tough to get exactly simply because the definition of "playing" can be considered pickup games or punt/pass/kick type games as well as youth leagues like Pop Warner and Vince Lombardi.

For football it could be estimated that roughly 8-15 percent of American kids play football in some form or another which using the 50 million children mark would equate to approximately 4 to ~8 million children playing football in the US.

The same things apply as considered in the post about soccer. Its hard to get an exact idea as there are way too many non-recorded statistical variables considering how popular it is. It also varies by area as well as age as children progress in age they may play a group of sports but considering the acceptance for college sports up to age 18 they may begin to specialize earlier.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am talking about organized football.. Leagues,, school teams.. Fully padded football. From pee wee football to highschool Varsity Teams.
Statistical experts estimate that roughly 5.5 million youth(considered age 8 to 14) play football. NFHS(high school statistics 14-17/18) participation data shows a little over 1.1 million participants. for a total of roughly 6.6 million participants in youth football from Peewee up through high school Varsity. You could probably adjust this 5 percent in both directions as a deviation because again, while each area may have full padded football, not all data is centralized.