SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

i filed for an abandon vehicle title on a truck that was left

i filed for an abandon vehicle title on a truck that was left on my car lot for over a year,it has been 9 weeks since and i havent recieved anything,what could be the hold up?
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to answer your question with the information you have provided.

With a vehicle that has been abandoned, usually DMVs will try to contact the owner themselves, this can take up to 45 days(or more) by itself. Then if the owner responds, they may be given a period of 30 days or more to reply or respond by removing the vehicle.

The issue here is the DMV really needs to be extremely thorough in making sure the vehicle owner has truly abandoned the vehicle and has exhausted all reasonable efforts to get in touch with the prior owner.

As long as it seems, you are still within a reasonable amount of time of that DMV to prior owner communication. If you reach or surpass the 12 week mark, I would follow up with your local DMV to see what the official status is. This can be dragged longer than anticipated if the vehicle owner is "dragging their feet" over the issue.