Sally G.
Sally G., Preschool Assistant Group Supervisor
Experience:  Working with behaviorally challenged SN children, Autism and early education.
3570977
Type Your Question Here...

What is the best way to get dog fur out of clothing that is

Customer Question

What is the best way to get dog fur out of clothing that is chemical free. I am sensitive to most chemicals.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided

One of the easiest ways to get pet hair out of clothing chemical free is actually by using a rubber glove, nitrile, latex or regular kitchen dishwashing gloves, as long as they are not coating with anything to make them slip.

The idea is to just "brush" or "wipe" the clothing with your gloved hand, then simply herd the hair into a ball where it can be vacuumed or picked up and discarded. The rubber glove has the perfect amount of grip to grab the hair, while not pulling on the fabric of clothing as well, pulling it out of the weave of the garment and releasing it for elimination. It may take a couple swipes of your hand but its considerably easier AND faster than a lint roller plus works better as lint rollers seem to lack enough grip.

The only caveat is that it is slightly more time consuming simply because of the task.

Non powdered gloves are chemical free, cheap and easy to use(the gloves), and if you have a latex allergy there are multiple types of gloves. In my experience, nitrile works great. Its probably best to size the glove so its snug on your hand, that way there is no extra slack to be dragged and the efforts of each "swipe" are concentrated on pulling the hairs out of the garment.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 years ago.
Hello I would have another suggestion as if the hair is actually stuck in the fabric a glove may or may not be able to pull it out efficiently, much depends on the actual fabric. If the glove does not work try a regular lint brush (not the tape roller kind, the old fashion lint brushes) if the fabric it delicate.
If it is a tougher fabric invest in a good dog slicker brush as that takes up hair from most fabrics and rugs. There are slicker brushes that are softer than most and have a button that will release the hair by pulling the pins inside the brush, thereby making removal from the brush easy. This also works well on carpet to get hair the vacuum doesn't quite get.
Experience: Working with behaviorally challenged SN children, Autism and early education.